lessons learned after 10 batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you guys coldcrash for weeks or something.
the amounts of oxigen and contact duration are minute.

Its the drop in temperature, not the length of time. Fill a balloon with CO2, and attach it to your airlock outpost. Watch as it drinks 2-4L of CO2. Its significant in my book, but I guess minute can be a subjective measurement...

I went straight to all grain and kegging. Here’s what I’ve learned.

1. Get a refractometer and some extra long pipettes for sampling. I’m not sure why anyone would use a hydrometer.

2. Use a blowoff tube. Buy 100’ of 3/8” hose. Use 3’ each time and throw it away.

3. I can only get low 60% efficiency with LHBS crush. Have some DME or corn sugar on hand at first.

4. Calibrate/mark gallons of all equipment.

5. Suckback is real when cold crashing. I blow up a 1 gallon ziploc with co2 and electrical tape to end of disposable blowoff tube.

6. No drinking until boil.

7. Get a brewers log book

8. Buy a 6+ gallon carboy or fermenter for NEIPAs. Hops and trub take up a gallon.

9. Immersion chiller doesn’t work well during summer when tap water is 90 degrees. Even with a pre chiller. I have to solve this next.

1. Agree. I just bought one after years of brewing without it and wish I bought one sooner.
2. I find that if I keep the temperature at the low end of the range for the yeast I'm using, I never need a blow-off tube. YMMV.
3. Use software to calculate the amount of malt needed for your efficiency and you won't need DME or sugar. I hit 65% pretty consistently and use Beersmith to figure it all out.
4. Agree. Done.
5. I just loosen the airlock during cold crashing and don't worry about it if a few tenths of an ounce of Star San gets into the beer.
6. I wish I could follow this to the "T", but I don't. I try to though.
7. I print out all recipes from Beersmith as my form of record keeping.
8. Agree.
9. My immersion chiller gets my wort down into the mid-60s even in the summer in NJ. If needed, use ice and a pump to recirculate.

Its the drop in temperature, not the length of time. Fill a balloon with CO2, and attach it to your airlock outpost. Watch as it drinks 2-4L of CO2. Its significant in my book, but I guess minute can be a subjective measurement...

I cold crashed for the first time last batch, in a fermenting bucket. To prevent the water from getting sucked back I removed the airlock and just wrapped plastic wrap around the rubber grommet thing on top of the bucket. So I guess that was bad? Haven't tasted that one yet but should be done bottle conditioning in about a week.

I cold crashed for the first time last batch, in a fermenting bucket. To prevent the water from getting sucked back I removed the airlock and just wrapped plastic wrap around the rubber grommet thing on top of the bucket. So I guess that was bad? Haven't tasted that one yet but should be done bottle conditioning in about a week.

Bad? Depends on your definition. It allowed air to go into the fermenter, which introduced oxygen. Either that, or you created a partial vacuum which, upon opening the bucket to get the beer out, will expose it to air.

I think the general rule of thumb is that you want to limit oxygen contact with your beer as much as you reasonably can.

I've been using all refractometer since about 4 batches ago (On 9 now). Brewing 2.5 gallon batches, it's painful to use 4oz for a hydro sample lol. But in any case, before I started using it exclusively I compared readings and I've been getting the same results.

The biggest ah-ha moment for me was: Bottling without a bottling bucket, don't do it. I first learned from a NB kit, and they showed 2 people siphoning straight into the bottle. Really sucks if you don't have a partner, use a bottling bucket. If you don't have one, that should be your next purchase, makes bottling SO much easier.

Some of us are VERY obsessive about making the best and long lasting product. Easily avoided oxidization like that to me is unacceptable. I cringe when I see a corny keg being filled with a open lid.... Lol. Cheers

Some of us are VERY obsessive about making the best and long lasting product. Easily avoided oxidization like that to me is unacceptable. I cringe when I see a corny keg being filled with a open lid.... Lol. Cheers

I've never filled a keg any other way and I have had no issues with oxidation. My kegged beers taste the same or better near the end as in the beginning. And some styles were consumed over the period of about 6 months. Beers that last longer than that get bottled so that I don't tie up a keg that long.

I've never filled a keg any other way and I have had no issues with oxidation. My kegged beers taste the same or better near the end as in the beginning. And some styles were consumed over the period of about 6 months. Beers that last longer than that get bottled so that I don't tie up a keg that long.
Not saying it doesn't work. Not too be a smartass but Ive driven without my seatbelt several times successfully also. Doesn't necessarily mean it's the better way. Cheers

Here are a few things to check:

1. Your crush. If too coarse, all the starch can't gelatinize, or it takes a long time to do so. I've seen some "crushes" on here where there are intact barley kernels making through. If you don't get the husk removed and the inside crushed, it's not going to convert.

2. Mash temp. If it's out of the range of about 148 to 157, you're not going to be as successful.

3. How is your water? A good mash needs a pH in the range of about 5.2-5.6; if you're very much outside this range, you're not going to be as successful. If you're not paying attention to water (perhaps just using tap water w/o knowing its composition), then I'd bet this is playing a role.

4. I found my efficiency rose when I stirred at 15- and 30-minutes. I don't use a violent, splashing stir, just trying to rehomogenize the mash. My efficiency shot up when I did this.

5. Make sure you're mashing long enough. I'm using a somewhat coarse crush (.035 on monster mill), compared to the .020 I used with my barley crusher. When I did the .020, I had most conversion done within 15 minutes, as the starch in the smaller particles gelatinized quickly and was made available to the enzymes for conversion. For instance, if I was expecting a pre-boil gravity of about 1.054, I might be at 1.044-1.048 within 15 minutes.

However, when I went back to .035, I was initially shocked to find that at 15 minutes, I might be about 1.018, maybe 1.020. I stirred, stirred again at 30 minutes. By the time I got through with a full hour mash, I was where I needed to be.

So, if you're mashing for 60 minutes, stir well and try 70 or even 75 minutes, see if that makes a difference. I've become less concerned about just cutting off the mash at 60 minutes, I'll go 70 or even a bit longer.

6. When you check your preboil gravity after lautering (or if BIAB, draining the bag), you need to stir the wort very well. I've found there can be strata within the wort, the sugar seems to be more concentrated at the bottom. I find this in the mash too--the sugar was concentrated in the grain, which of course sits at the bottom of the mash tun with liquid on top of it.

Anyway, good luck!
some good tips. I am building up from distilled at the moment using BeerSmith for the calculations to try and get me to 5.2pH. Mash temp last run hovered around 154+/- a couple. I am using a mash&boil so I plan on confirming those temps with my own thermometer next batch. I mashed for 60min.

unfortunately I'm not crushing my own grain yet, it's a mix of online and my not-so-local shop. I could ask what their mill gap is.

I will definitely give a stir too when grabbing my pre boil gravity next time as well.

thanks for the tips!

Not really. The amount of air suck back can easily equal the entire head space. At cold temps the oxygen in the air will dissolve into the beer at an accelerated rate. Once it’s in the beer it has until you drink it to actually oxidize the beer. Most brewers who have taken cold side oxidation seriously have noticed a step function improvement in the quality and shelf life of their beer. Some styles like a barley wine or scotch ale can handle oxygen exposure like a champ while others like a NEIPA seem to wither at the mere mention of oxygen. Naturally your brewing habits and style preferences will dictate your personal experiences.

I think I got another thing to add:

If you're making a pipeline, always make sure you have a lighter beer, unless you have a huge tolerance lol. I'm stuck with 3 batches of beer that are all in the high 6's-high 7% range and it's fine if I'm having a couple at home. However, when hanging out with friends, drinking more than 4+ = getting blasted. Good thing my own brew doesn't give me a hangover but still, always have a batch of 'session beer' on hand :D

If you're making a pipeline, always make sure you have a lighter beer, unless you have a huge tolerance lol. I'm stuck with 3 batches of beer that are all in the high 6's-high 7% range and it's fine if I'm having a couple at home. However, when hanging out with friends, drinking more than 4+ = getting blasted. Good thing my own brew doesn't give me a hangover but still, always have a batch of 'session beer' on hand :D

My first batch just kicked, and 2nd batch is bottle conditioning another week or so but it's an 8.5% DIPA. Going through those 50 bottles should be interesting

Agree 100%

Back