Lesson Learned (Learnt!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roo_Dr

Reaction score
Started extract + grain homebrewing 8 months ago - 2 days ago I found a bottle of my first brew, a K&K English Bitter, in the back of the cupboard. Popped it in the fridge and tonight opened it up.

Totally blown away, tasted nothing like the "port" fortified wine flavour that this brew had originally after only 4 weeks in bottle. Tastes 10x better than any commercial brew I've had in a long time, and I generally don't buy cheap.

A valuable lesson, that I've heard so many times on this site, has now been learned (learnt).

Thankyou HBT.

applause.gif

The only problem is, who can wait that long? I'm doing all I can to wait 4 days past 2 weeks in the bottle for a friend that I havn't seen in 9 years........then again, it is my first batch :)

Sorry, I was looking at the earnest face of the video...

Seriously it blew me away how good it was.

To compound my embarrassment, my second brew I handed out to a couple of mates at work, one who is not a big drinker.

I thought he was extracting the urine when he said it was one of the best beers he'd tasted in a long time - albeit he drank it 6 months after I gave him the bottles, and a good 4 months after I'd finished my own (average tasting) store.

In one "lost" bottle tonight I've leaned (learnt!) several important lessons - you guys know what you're talking about, I have so much to learn, and whilst my mates might be polite - I really do make good beer!

The thirst for knowledge will never be quenched...

The only problem is, who can wait that long? I'm doing all I can to wait 4 days past 2 weeks in the bottle for a friend that I havn't seen in 9 years........then again, it is my first batch :)

Throw 2 or 3 in the back of the cupboard and forget - buy a 6 pack of whatever to replace. Believe me you'll be blown away. :ban:

The only problem is, who can wait that long? I'm doing all I can to wait 4 days past 2 weeks in the bottle for a friend that I havn't seen in 9 years........

And your batch may not be ready in 2 weeks and 4 days...it may not be fully carbed, and it may be carbed and be green....You are dealing with living micro-organisms, and they have their own timeframe, their own agenda, and it is often despite our plans....I have had plenty of beers not be ready for 4 to 8 weeks...I have a belgian that won't be carbed and conditioned for at least 3 months.

Seriously though, If you are serving green beer to people who have never tasted homebrew then they won't understand..

They will think that EITHER you suck as a brewer, ALL HOMEBREW SUCKS (and you'll prolly go blind anyway) or those BMC commercials were right, anything other than fizzy yellow beer, especially homebrew taste like a$$, and we should stick to bud light...

You won't be a great ambassador to the world of homebrewing presenting week old beer....

DO yourself a favor, swallow the dissapointment of your beer not being ready, buy some great beer to share with your friend...and give your beer the time it needs.

And share the homebrew with them when you know it is at it's best. Not before.

...then again, it is my first batch :)

It really is a new brewer issue. Once you have 2-3 batches going at various stages, you will be finfishing drinking a batch just when another one is at a peak.

Bottle carbing is not like making coolaid...you are dealing with Mother nature, and she has her own agenda.

And don't forget, carbonation is only half the issue...bottle conditioning is equally important...you can have a fizzy beer and it can still be green and taste like a$$.

And you will find, that it is really, really worth the wait.

I leave 99% of my beers in primary for a month...then I bottle...and right now I can't get 70 degrees in my loft to save my life...so I don't expect ANY of my beers to be carbed on time....so in the interim, I buy mix sixers of various beers to try as research for the next beers I plan on brewing and to build up my bottle stock.

I wrote this the last time a noob wanted to know how to push the clock forward.

For Example, I brewed my Pumpkin Ale for Thanksgiving on Labor Day...figuring at 8 weeks, I MIGHT have some ready for Holloween...But they were still green, so I only brought a couple to my annuual Halloween thingy, along with a sampler of commercial pumpkins...BUT come Turkey Day the beer was fantastic, and was a hit at the holiday.

Right now this is my current inventory...

Drinking....IPA, various bottles of Oaked Smoked Brown Ale, Smoked brown ale, Poor Richard's Ale, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde (but as a Lager,)
Avoiding....Marris Otter/Argentinian Cascade SMaSH (It sucks)
Bottle Conditioning..... Chocolate Mole Porter, Belgian Dark Strong Ale, Peach Mead
In Primary.....Schwartzbier, Vienna Lager
Bulk Aging....Mead
Lagering....Dead Guy Clone Lager

Pretty much anything still in Primary or Lagering I will not be drinking til the end of March, but more than likely April....The Mole Porter needs a minimum several more weeks as well....but the Belgian Strong is prolly going to need 3-6 months to be ready...

The Swartzbier has 3 weeks more in primary, then another month lagering, THEN 3 weeks at least in the bottles...

Some weeks I take a break from my own beers to drink a couple sixers of samplers, so I don't drink ALL my current and other ready beers before the others comes online....Plus I'm craving a couple of styles that I don't have ready (like Vienna Lager) so I will make a bottle run....I also get to try new styles to come up with new ones to brew down the line.

And I'm also probably going to brew something this weekend...don't know what yet...maybe a low abv mild that I would only leave in primary till fermentation is stopped then bottled..so hopefully in a month they will drinkable.....

But do you see...you too one day will have a pipleine....and the wait will be nothing...you will have things at various stages...

This quote from one of my friends sums it up....

The nice thing is to get to a point in your pipeline where you are glancing through your BeerSmith brew log and realize that you have a beer that you have not even tried yet and it has been in bottle over 6 weeks. This happened to me this weekend. The beer was farging delicious.

I've found the best way to store bottles for aging is to give a bottle of each batch to my grandpa to drink. Did this with my 2nd and 3d batches from Feb and march of 08. They're still in his fridge. I'd love to taste them now, but don't want to ask for them back! But I doubt he will drink them ever.

I've found the best way to store bottles for aging is to give a bottle of each batch to my grandpa to drink. Did this with my 2nd and 3d batches from Feb and march of 08. They're still in his fridge. I'd love to taste them now, but don't want to ask for them back! But I doubt he will drink them ever.

You should give him 2 bottles then.....There's nothing wrong with helping yourself to one of them....

As long as you leave one for gramps. :D

Just bring more and tell him your rotating stock.

Oh it's so tempting though!!!! I'd say almost every one of us has fallen to the temptation, especially early on in our brewing careers. As many earlier posts mention, once the pipeline is filled and flowing you have time on your side. Then all you have to deal with is the temptation. Me personally, I like to give them a try no sooner than a month. I never share them until they're ready....

Pipeline management could be one of the most daunting tasks in homebrewing. Nothing worse than going to the fridge to get one of your favorites and find that you are running low and you haven't made more or it's not far enough along in the brewing process. Then I tend to get stingy. The sharing thing is great in the beginning or if you've planned well about what's coming out of the pipeline.

Update to the o/p - I made a batch of Cooper's "European Lager" back in september, left it 'til december to drink and it tasted like alcoholic water. Good for drunking, bad for enjoying.

So they entire batch was put aside, forgotten about, and rediscovered last week when moving house.

Popped one in the fridge this morning, just to see...

Slightly better flavour than I recall, a bit more body, perfectly carbonated, and the head is near perfect and long lasting.

Now that I'm a bit more experienced in the ways of the hop, I think a repeat effort might have to be made, only this time with a big fist-full of Saaz thrown in as dry hop. Fingers crossed I'll then forget about them for so long again...

Back