Less than fresh crushed grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
Hi all - been a while since I posted here cause its been a while since I brewed. I've been
busy with life etc and got lazy (purchasing all maner of commercial beers) now I want to
start up again with a simple english brown ale. My grains are a few (4-8) months old.

What is the cut off? I searched many pages and only came up with one post. Said chuck everything old, but what will the end result be? off flavor or no sugar conversion?

I would like to brew today and don't want to use extract only. Any hope for my "Iwant it now" brown ale?:tank:

PS: my Munich malt, and white wheat taste fine so I assume they are good to go unless someone
has some objection - the chocolate on the other hand has an "old" taste as it was on of the first bits
I bought so sadly, I believe I must leave it out.

Yup, if it doesn't taste stale it should be fine. That is always my main concern with long term storage of any dry good. Sure you lose some character but it'll still brew up. I am pretty outspoken about this subject because I am a firm believer in the fresher the better when it comes to raw ingredients that you are going to turn into something else. The stale taste will effect the final product though so you are right to chuck the chocolate although if you are adding a minimal amount, which in the case of the brown you might get away with it but you run the risk of that off flavor.

Back