length of time in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highriseguy87

Reaction score
The gravity on my kolsch was all high at 1.015. I went ahead and transferred it to the carboy. it should be 1.011 to 1.013 how will this effect my beer or will it maybe drop abit in secondary??? Also how long should I keep it in the secondary before bottling.

What was the starting gravity? All Grain or Extract? Mash temperature? Yeast strain? Length of time in primary?

You need to give details, otherwise no one will be able to tell you if there was anything wrong.

It is possible for it to drop another point In secondary but I doubt it will drop to 1.011unless you force it. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about missing the range by 2 points.That's not much of a miss especially with extract.

yeast may have not been the most vibrant, so they took longer to get started. nothing to worry about, there's still good yeast in the secondary so the gravity will still drop, everything should turn out fine just make sure you get a few days with the same gravity. this will probably be on the longer side, time wise.

Thanks guys for the info ill post back here with the final numbers and pics ��

The biggest thing I see is that you didn't allow the main amount of yeast to finish. Racking after only a week is probably why it isn't as low as you were hoping. It may drop another point, but I've never had a beer drop once it has been transferred off the yeast cake (except for sours that are working on secondarily added sugars). I always advise brewers to wait at least 10 days before checking for final gravity and waiting 14 days is better. Take a second reading 2 to 3 days later and if it is the same, bottle it without going to a secondary. Unless you are racking the beer onto hops, spices or wood chips, there is no benefit of transferring it.

Back