Lemon Pepper Saison recipe thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmac62

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, my idea is to do a lemon and black pepper saison.

6 lb pils or 2 row
.5 lb crystal 60
.5 lb white wheat malt
1 oz styrian goldings 60
1 oz Styrian goldings 10
2 lemons worth of zest & 2 g black pepper corns crushed in vodka tincture added at bottling
WLP566 yeast.

Any thoughts, idea's, feedback is appreciated. :mug:

My opinion - crystal malts rarely belong in a Saison. I'd ditch it unless you're married to the idea. Residual sweetness with lemon and pepper sounds weird to me.

I for one don't like tinctures - I seem to get weird flavors from the vodka, but perhaps I use the wrong vodka. I generally throw caution to the wind! But, to each their own I suppose.

I am personally a fan of adding herbs and spices at whirlpool temperatures after the boil unless I specifically want to emulate aging the beer on the ingredients after fermentation. You forego the opportunity to adjust the amount to taste with that technique so you have to feel confident the amount you add is right for your beer. I think your amount of pepper and lemon is about right for that beer but you should go the tincture route if you are not confident.

I agree on ditching the crystal malt unless you have a clear reason for it to be there.

So what I did was
8 lb marris
.7lb aromatic
.5 lb biscuit
.4 oz cascade (I had left over) 60
1 oz Northern Brewer 60
1 oz Northern Brewer FO

I have the tincture working, the pepper is really hot, but I used more like two tbs not grams. I'll flavor to taste at kegging.

Latest posts

Back