Lemon Lambic, anyone tried it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTGthird

Reaction score
I have a tree full of lemons and nothing to do with them, so I'm going to juice them and make them into a beer of some kind. I live in FL and I have plenty of time to let it sit before summer rolls around, I was thinking about making them into a lambic. I have some questions.. is there enough sugar? Will the citric acid hurt the lambic yeast? Will it be wayyy to sour? I'm looking for suggestions.

I would guess that if you did exclusively lemon juice it would be exceedingly sour. I think i would make a light wort, or use some light malt extract to have more fermentables and keep the flavor more balanced and add a portion of lemon to that.

You could also just brew a wheat beer and serve it with a lemon wedge. ;)

RynoSmail said:
I would go "Baconator" and suggest a sour wheat. Maybe do a Berliner-Weiss and serve with a lemon wedge.

Those work too. Lemon Weiss is definitely nice. The obvious hop pairing choice would be Sorachi Ace.

I was thinking of making a lemon-weiss. I really want to try to create a lambic or saison from it. I'm somewhat unconventional in my recipes which makes things like this (without much precident) difficult to get advice on. I'm planning on making a light malt base and adding a lot of lemons. I know it will be sour, I'm thinking like a liquid warhead. I'm trying to find a yeast which will ferment well at that acidity. I do like the advice on using a Sorachi Ace, thank you for that.

Back