Legal Question: Water Reuse in Colorado

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't seem like it would matter by sheer volume of snow or rain versus how many might be reusing it at any given time?

It's hard to comprehend not being here, but its all political. One issue is 75% of the population of CO is east of the divide. 75% of the water falls West of the divide. We have plenty of water, but its in the wrong place.

Another fun one to argue over is, if its the states water, when it falls as hail on my roof, why can't i file a claim against the state to cover my loss. Same goes with floods - the states rain water just wiped out a town last year. They hand wave those away as natural acts, but 'normal rain' they want to claim...

Relevant news from the current session of the CO legislature...

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27723629/rooftop-rainwater-collection-bill-easily-clears-colorado-committee

"A bill that would allow residential rainwater collection sailed through a committee hearing Monday, making headway in Colorado's decades-old water rights battle.

House Bill 1259 passed the Agriculture, Livestock & Natural Resources Committee 8-5 and now advances to the full House.

"We're simply wanting to allow people to collect the rain that falls off of their rooftops ... to put back into the earth," said the bill's sponsor, Rep. Daneya Esgar, D-Pueblo."

Back