Legal Moonshines on the market??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz

Reaction score
Has anyone tried any of the legal moonshines that have come out on the market over the past few years? I've been wanting to try one that is most like original corn mash that's made in the woods. They even have some apple pie ones that look pretty good. Any advice on which ones are good/ worth trying?? Thanks

IMHO, putting flavored vodka in a trendy mason jar and putting it on the megamart shelf does not make it moonshine. It is a marketing gimmick to capitalize on the popularity of the "Moonshiners" TV show.

I would say moonshine is by definition illegally produced, massively high proof, and (at least a little) risky to consume. Otherwise it is basically low-budget store-brand vodka (most of which is also made with corn because the insane subsidies make it profitable) that is flavored with something. Plenty of those, in bottles not mason jars, on the vodka aisle - not pretending to be "craft".

Uh moonshine is "white" whiskey, Vodka is not. We have a new distillery in town that makes great whiskey, and some of it is not aged so essentially moonshine (in a controlled environment). You can see the his still in the back room through a window. It has 4-6 condensation plates, when I talked to the owner he said vodka would have 22-26 of those same plates. That is what makes vodka smooth and flavorless compared to whiskey that you can taste the grain much better. Not saying that I am an expert or anything but just saying there are distilleries out there that do put out a good product that can be found on store shelves. If it is white whiskey and not aged it is pretty much moonshine. I am sure that some big manufacturers are jumping on the trend of the show but that doesn't mean there aren't real moonshiners out there that have gone legal. You may just need to look a little harder and probably don't buy anything you see in a commercial. Just my 2 cents.

I have some Firefly White Lightning. 100.7 proof. It's okay. Not too hot, but not exactly smooth. The flavor is alcohol. I may try their cherry or apple.

The crap they are selling at the liquor stores is bonded liquor, not moonshine. White dog is unaged whisky.
All the store bought stuff Iv'e tasted so far is more like vodka than whitedog whisky.

Most of the stuff you find at the store is indeed not the same as traditional white corn whiskey. There are exceptions though and there are many small Boutique distilleries opening up around the country that produce craft whiskies, gin, vodka ect. They are the liquor equivalent to craft breweries with someone producing small batches of great quality stuff. I expect that craft spirit industry in the next few years will become popular just how craft beer has become in recent years. Not as big probably, but it will definitely attract the same people.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Home Brew mobile app

Grizz since your in colorado if you are ever in fort collins hit up feisty distillery they are one of the smaller boutique distilleries. You can find their bottles in some liqour stores but most are the aged styles they make.

kf

my brother lives in Tennessee and Jack Daniels came out one year with an un-aged Rye whiskey, just in Tennessee and that was the closest thing I have ever had

I've had a few different white/unaged/pseudo-moonshine whiskies. Can't remember the names of most of them, except for Jacob's Ghost by Jim Beam. They were all okay, but more of a novelty than something I would seriously consider drinking again. I think I'll stick to regular aged whiskey, it just tastes so much better.

I've had real moonshine before, and I can't say I cared much for it either. It was drinkable and certainly did the trick, but again, I'd rather have something aged a few years.

I've had a few different white/unaged/pseudo-moonshine whiskies. Can't remember the names of most of them, except for Jacob's Ghost by Jim Beam. They were all okay, but more of a novelty than something I would seriously consider drinking again. I think I'll stick to regular aged whiskey, it just tastes so much better.

I've had real moonshine before, and I can't say I cared much for it either. It was drinkable and certainly did the trick, but again, I'd rather have something aged a few years.

Good moonshine is really good. Most isn't.

If it's for sale in a store, it's not moonshine. End of story.

I have tasted a couple white, unaged whiskeys. Nothing special about them, to my palate. Not unlike a more flavorful vodka.

There are a couple of white scotch whiskies sneaking on to the market as well! I was toying with trying, because I don't like traditional Scotch! (Horrors, I know) I have tasted a home made spirit which is made in Portugal, and it was like a very strong but very clean whisky. I think white whisky might be similar.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back