Legal Age to Buy Brewing Supplies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

ghib

Does anyone know what the legal age to buy brewing supplies in Ohio is? I'd like to go to a local home brew supply store, but wasn't sure the age required? 21? 18? Does it even matter? I mean if I'm just buying a bucket, an airlock, yeast, etc. none of it is alcoholic.

Back in my younger days, I used to purchase brewing supplies all the time, and never had to give ID. Consider that nothing you are buying is explicitly illegal for minors to have, so long as you don't do something silly and try to turn it into an alcoholic beverage.

If you are really worried, you can always order online.

As a rule of thumb, once you drop the yeast in the wort it is considered alcohol and illegal if you are under 21.

It's entirely possible that this person is looking into buying a gift for their dad or something. Unlikely...but possible. That said, it's perfectly legal for a person of any age to buy brewing gear and ingredients. It is illegal for them to use that gear or those ingredients to make any kind of alcoholic beverage.

I used to buy brewing supplies at 18, but I think the law may vary by state and store policies almost certainly vary on the issue. That was MD in the '90s, BTW.

The OP, due to their age, is banned as per HBT polices.

I have seen at least one homebrew store (in NH, I believe) that made note that they required purchasers to be 21. Not sure if that was state law, or CYA policy of the storeowners.

I've often wondered why I never thought of homebrewing when I was 18, it seems like the sort of thing that I would have been all over.

I've often wondered why I never thought of homebrewing when I was 18, it seems like the sort of thing that I would have been all over.

It was alot easier to give the cash to someone else to buy the 30 pack of natty ice than to bother waiting the week to drink green beer.

Um... or so I hear.... :eek:

I know! We used to drink the nastiest crap - I have no idea why we never thought of just buying some apple juice and some yeast. My buddy's folks NEVER went into his basement, we could have loaded the place to the gills with fermenting carboys. Of course, we would probably have been fermenting in old drywall compound buckets, but it still would have been an improvement!

My Dad made an occasional batch of swill and the last time he did he stored some bottles over the oven and they became bottle bombs :D. Probably why I waited so long to get into this hobby. :cross:

Idk about everywhere else, but I do know that in wisconsin there is no drinking age as long as you are with your parents. My first drink outside of the home or a random highschool party was with my parents at the rockbottom brewery when i was touring UW-Milwaukee for college at the age of 18. My sister also joined in on the drinking with her first drink at 15. The fact that we were able to do this was kind of supprising because we are from minnesota and that is not the case. I know that this is a differnet situation since it is with your parents. But it also makes me think that it should also be ok. I know that the site has the 21 policy for legal reasons, but to be honest... I wish i was brought up on homebrew and micros. I would have drank a lot less beer in exchange or the good stuff....

We don't want to put our members into a situation where the unknowingly abet something that is illegal. We also don't want anyone to unknowingly send beer to a minor. As a forum, this is in the best interest of everyone.

We don't want to put our members into a situation where the unknowingly abet something that is illegal.
Does this also apply to those who live in a state where homebrewing is illegal? Shouldn't they be banned too?

If we use UT as an example, the law has not spoken on HB's illegality, it has only failed to say that is is legal. Completely different.

Also what is more likely... The sight catching flack because we were lax about kicking out minors or that we allow adult citizens of Utah to participate.

I'm 100% in favor of the current policy. It's the best thing for the community as a whole. We can't stop underage people from coming in and taking a look around, and it's not like we force people to register to view the forums. The information is out there - but there's nothing to be gained by HBT (and potentially a lot to be lost) by specifically allowing underage members.

(And frankly, I'm not all that sympathetic to people who aren't bright enough to lie about their age).

But when you register how is age verified? Couldn't you just say you were 23 or whatever if you're 18?

Not being critical - just asking.

(And frankly, I'm not all that sympathetic to people who aren't bright enough to lie about their age).

But when you register how is age verified? Couldn't you just say you were 23 or whatever if you're 18?

Not being critical - just asking.

You can't verify. See previous quote.

I'm 100% in favor of the current policy. It's the best thing for the community as a whole. We can't stop underage people from coming in and taking a look around, and it's not like we force people to register to view the forums. The information is out there - but there's nothing to be gained by HBT (and potentially a lot to be lost) by specifically allowing underage members.

I agree on all accounts

I just wanted to say that I'm Canadian and here in Canada the legal age in most provinces is 19, although a few are 18. Being 23 now it's no matter, but if a 19 year old Canadian were to register would they also be banned? Just curious.

I just wanted to say that I'm Canadian and here in Canada the legal age in most provinces is 19, although a few are 18. Being 23 now it's no matter, but if a 19 year old Canadian were to register would they also be banned? Just curious.

No, it's based on the laws of the country the member is in.

I started homebrewing when I was still living at my dads house in the basement. only 18 or 19 at the time. Leagal age here in N.B. Canada is 19. He brought me to see one of his co-workers that had been brewing for about 15 years. Got me started up. Now I'm 37 and I still Stare and Sniff the airlocks. I visit my bubbling twins before I leave for work, when I get back from work, and before I go upstairs to bed. It's a good thing the SWMBO likes most of my beers, or she would be jealous.

dp

Back