Leftovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dialout

Reaction score
So I apparently made a 6 gallon strawberry kit. I racked it into a 5 gallon carboy before I realized the error. I now have a 5 Gallon perfectly full carboy and roughly a gallon left I the primary bucket.

What to do? First thought was drink it...lol

2nd issue (maybe) I got busy in life and It ended up sitting in the primary fermentation bucket untouched for 2 full months. Any issues with that?

So I apparently made a 6 gallon strawberry kit. I racked it into a 5 gallon carboy before I realized the error. I now have a 5 Gallon perfectly full carboy and roughly a gallon left I the primary bucket.

What to do? First thought was drink it...lol

2nd issue (maybe) I got busy in life and It ended up sitting in the primary fermentation bucket untouched for 2 full months. Any issues with that?

Put all the contents back into another bucket if you have one. If you don't, just package the beer. It's ready.

Sheesh I didn't even think to just put it all in another bucket..

It's wine by the way...

Can you drink it "raw" so to speak? It smells like wine.

I can put all 6 gallons back into a bucket but that obviously leaves a whole lot more exposed head space

It is wine; so you could just drink it as well. More than likely, it needs some time to mature, thus my suggestion. I wouldn't go the bucket route since you want to minimize the potential for oxidation. Risking one gallon that may or may not be sub-optimal is one thing, adding that same gallon into the five gallons that you know are good would be a bad move in my opinion.

For future reference get a 1 gallon jug and put the excess in there. You then can try to experiment on that batch. (Make it drier or add something like honey on some other sweetener). Good luck let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back