Leftovers Recipe Input Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlantic

Reaction score
Since Thanksgiving is the season for leftovers, I thought I'd make something out of leftover stuff in my freezer so I can start the new year with a clean slate. Any thoughts or input on the following?

For malt, I have 5 pounds of wheat, 3 pounds of 2 row, plus a pound mixture of mostly 2 row with about an ounce each of of Special B and Caramunich mixed in. (I was making a Dubbel, didn't quite have room for all of the malt in one container, and of course forgot to add the small container. Life goes on.)

So that's 9 pounds of grain. Then I have T-58 yeast, 0.5 ounce of Warrior, 1 ounce each of Citra and Centennial.

I do BIAB. I was thinking a 5 gallon batch with all of that grain, mashing in the low 150s, bittering with the Warrior for 60 minutes, a half ounce each of the Citra and Centennial at 15 minutes, and then dry hopping with the remainder of the Citra and Centennial.

I figure I should ferment in the low 60s to keep the yeast from kicking off much that might clash with the hops, but still contribute something to the beer.

Any other thoughts? For instance, I could obviously add white sugar. I even have some brewers invert syrup I could add, though that usually goes in my bitters. I have grits that could go in, brown sugar, molasses, even oats, spices and citrus fruits, but all of that seems pretty excessive given the hops and yeast. I'm ruling out adding any of the onions and garlic I have on hand, and no celery either.

I'm basically aiming at something on the lower ABV side, so I'd want to keep any sugars low, although I'd be open to tossing a pound of malt if someone thought it made more sense to go with a bit of sugar, for example.

Also, an interesting and different mix of flavors is fine as long as it means having five things going on at once, but not 50, so if someone suggests a different way of hopping with I have available, or different way of dealing with the yeast, I'm open to that.

This definitely comes out fairly bitter for a wheat, so I'd also be open to cutting back on the Warrior and then tossing in the remainder into the dry hop (or even throwing it out). It's fairly old so I'm guessing it's not as potent as it once was, though.

For what it's worth, I have the option of doing two simultaneous boils and fermenting in two smaller batches, so if someone can think of something interesting but not too complicated to do by splitting things up, I'm all ears. I just have the one yeast, though.

Anyway, any comments or ideas? Obviously this isn't going to fit any established style, so I'm open to whatever comments people have.

if you grab some rice hulls you could do a wheat beer thing. bitter with warrior, flavor with citra. could be good.

I like your original plan. I'd move the 15-minute hops to flameout, add some citrus peel and maybe coriander and call it a Session White IPA. I didn't care for T58 the one time I used it, but your temp plan sounds like it would take care of the cough syrupy phenols I got.

Back