Leftover PBW in my mash tun :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratefulfloyd

Reaction score
I've brewed about 10 batches so far and have had no issues until yesterday. I brewed an AG hefe and noticed something when I was sparging from my mash tun...there were white bubbles/foam on top of my wort. I thought that I had thoroughly rinsed out my mash tun after cleaning it with PBW but apparently not. Should I ride it out and hope that it was very little PBW and that it wont make the beer taste like soap or should I dump it and not risk it. My biggest concern is that PBW may be unsafe to drink. Anyone have this happen to them before:confused:

I don't normally see much foam with PBW. I do see some foaming in my mash tun I attribute to continuous recirculation. Did it taste like wort? I'd ferment it if the answer is yes.

After it ferments out does it taste like beer? If so then package it.

I am not advocating eating PBW but I think it is highly unlikely you left enough behind to be harmful.

Tasted like wort to me and looked just fine. Just unsure why there would have been bubbles on top of my wort after I drained it unless it was from the PBW.

I got my terminology messed up. The foam/bubbles were at the top of my collected wort

Back