Left yeast on warm car seat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
I should have known better. I went to my LHBS to pick up my yeast - WL041. THEN I went grocery shopping and foolishly left the yeast on the passenger seat - in direct sunlight - for about 80 minutes. When I got back to the car, the yeast was definitely warm to the touch. When I got home, I put the yeast in the fridge and got it back to room temp. Then, I made my starter as usual. I don't have a stir plate, but normally when I swirl my flask I get some foam, which shows my starter is fermenting. I got very little foam this time around I fear it might have just been air bubbles from shaking the flask. I pitched the 800 ML starter into 5 gallons of 1.060 aerated wort Saturday at noon. I see nothing yet. I know it's been less than 24 hours, so I'm trying not to panic as I'll PROBABLY see activity by dinner time today, but I've never made a starter with yeast that was this warm before. Do you think I killed the yeast? Is 041 a slow starter? I've read others say it was slow for them in some cases. My beer is sitting at 65 now in a swamp cooler.

Somewhere between 120°F and 130°F will kill the yeast
Since you went to a LHBS, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get another pack or two and re-pitch.

I guess I'll see if I see anything happen by later today and if not, it'll be time add some new yeast... :(

Of course, about 90 minutes after last post, my airlock started doing its thing, so I guess my yeast was okay afterall - still... lesson learned. LHBS AFTER grocery shopping next time...

Back