Left Over Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gishua

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have some left over grains from my partial mash and was wondering if any of these could be close to a good brown ale / stout recipe with some DME added hops and yeast. Any help appreciated.

I inputed these ingredients in BeerSmith, but not really sure how to tell if the recipe is good or not. Thanks in advance.

Victory Malt : 1.3oz
Roasted Barley : 8.3 oz
English Brown: 4.8oz
2-Row Pale: 7.8 oz
Flaked Oats: 7.3oz
Chocolate Malt: 13.8oz
Caramel: 9.1oz

Thanks

Those are very small amounts. Do you intend to do a 5 gallon batch?
How much DME do you have?

Yeah figured they were too small...just hate for them to go to waste. I will buy DME, hops & yeast.

I would not use it all in one recipe.. looks like too much RB for sure. prob need only half that. What is the caramel #? it varies from 10-120.
Suggest you look at PM recipes in the database here for suggestions and add or drop grains as needed. My two cents is that you have only a few dollars worth of grain and the time/ expense of the other ingredients isn't worth it on a "everything that is lying around" beer IMO. Use what you can (def the two row, oats, some RB, some choc, brown) and save the rest for next time.

Ok cool! Thankyou..just figured i would try. I'll save them for the next similar recipe I have with them. :)
Thanks.

I actually think you have the makings of a stout there if you want to chuck it all in (what's the L on that crystal?). It looks not unlike Jamil's oatmeal stout recipe that I have made a version of:

.5 lb roasted barley (you have)
.75 lb chocolate (you have .8)
.5 lb crystal 80 (you have about .5 lb of some crystal)
1 lb flaked oats (you have 1/2 lb)
.75 lb victory (you only have a touch but you also have a little brown malt, not a sub but I'd throw it in)

I would add a couple more lbs of 2-row to make it a partial mash if you want to convert the oats, and then make up the rest with light DME for an OG of around 1.055 to 1.058. I used willamette in this, about 38 IBU's.

Back