Left in primary for 16 months then bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alh5300

Reaction score
I left a bass clone in primary for 16 months. Smells awesome but worried there is no yeast left to help carbonation when bottled. I bottled it a week ago. Thoughts?

Might be a good excuse to buy a keg setup so you can force carbonate it.

Why did you leave it in there 16 months?

Have you opened one of the bottles yet? You could probably tell if it's starting to carbonate or not after a week.

Divorce and forgot about it until house sold. Got a keg system but decided to bottle before I thought about the yeast. Going to open one tonight as soon as it gets cold

Hope it carbed for you. If not, hopefully others will chime in with some suggestions that are better than mine: You could try the carbonation tablets such as Prime Dose in one of the bottles If there are any yeast still alive it might give them a little pickmeup to carb the beer. If it works you could uncap, dose, and recap the rest of the bottles.

If the yeast are totally gone not sure what to do. Not sure what pouring 50 bottles into a keg would do to the beer, but you could at least force carb it that way.

Back