Sweet Stout Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Left Hand Milk Stout
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 41.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.35 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 18.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.38 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F

Notes:

The lactose was added with 10 minutes left in the boil.
Left Hand Milk Stout is one of my favorites,Lily Flagg is probably my all time fav in a stout, Left hand is real close second . I'll have to try your recipe when I get up the nerve to try a lactose brew. and congrats on the award !!

I finally pulled the trigger on this one yesterday. I over-adjusted my pH, which ended up at 4.9-5.0, so I'm rebrewing it tomorrow. At worst I'll have a slightly less-flavorful, slightly watery (but still drinkable) beer; at best I'll have two awesome kegs of this!

I finally pulled the trigger on this one yesterday. I over-adjusted my pH, which ended up at 4.9-5.0, so I'm rebrewing it tomorrow. At worst I'll have a slightly less-flavorful, slightly watery (but still drinkable) beer; at best I'll have two awesome kegs of this!
I just kegged both batches last week, and they both taste great! The low-pH batch didn't attenuate as well as the other batch, (1.024 vs 1.018), but it's still quite drinkable. Since having two very similar beers on tap bothers me I'm going to use this as an excuse to finally hook up my nitro setup and have some flat but foamy fun with the low-pH batch. :mug:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Left Hand Milk Stout
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 41.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.35 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 18.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.38 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F

Notes:

The lactose was added with 10 minutes left in the boil.
Thank you , saved to my "to - do list"

Has anyone come up with water profile / mineral additions for this recipe ? I’ve made it twice- once using local spring water, came out good but better / correct water would have made it great. Second time I used distilled water with mineral additions but somethings was off and it came out not so good(tarte)

I saw this thread and wanted to make mention that my OG started at 1.067, and after a week and a half in the fermenter, FG is well stable at 1.024. I planned to rack it into keg this coming weekend (2 weeks in fermenter), then condition the keg for a few months.

I started S-04 at 64F for the first 4 days, then let it free rise to 68F where it has been since the temp bump. With 1# of lactose in the recipe, I figured the FG may get down to 1.020, so it seems to have finished a bit higher than I may have suspected. But with all being relative (with S-04), if I had omitted the lactose, all numbers would have likely been around 10 points lower on the OG and FG....I think.

BUT.....the wife wanted this to be a sweet after dinner type cordial in which we will do short dessert pours. So....sweet is what she will be getting!! I toasted cocoa nibs and soaked them a week in a cup of vodka. I poured the vodka off (saved in a separate container) and added a half cup of spiced rum on the nibs to extract more of the cocoa flavor. This will surely add a nice flavor and make a decent sweet stout when I add the tincture before kegging.

Brewed 15G yesterday. 1.070 OG. Mash PH came in at 5.2

40C7E27F-3CA9-4AD2-86C6-83585FECB5B8.jpeg

Just want to let you know that this is now our house brew. Mrs Etchy is not a beer drinker but she drinks an awful lot of this, to the point that I have to keep it on tap at all times.

Your beer converted my wine snob wife. High praise, indeed.

What are you guys doing as far as water additions? I brewed this yesterday. That s05 is pretty crazy just chewing away!
Had help from my little brewmaster. Second time brewing on my new electric biab rig.
Neil

Attachments

• 20181027_121721.jpg
    20181027_121721.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
  • 20181027_094613.jpg
    20181027_094613.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 154
  • 20181028183442479_a8077308e7c3486dbd65a6235f909e20_126694767.jpg
    20181028183442479_a8077308e7c3486dbd65a6235f909e20_126694767.jpg
    991.2 KB · Views: 136
What are you guys doing as far as water additions?
Here are my water additions. I am doing Brew in a Bag where I use half the water for the initial mash, then batch sparge with the remaining half of the water.

My base water is Baltimore, untreated. Pretty good water to start with.

Attachments

• Left Hand.JPG
    Left Hand.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 194
Thank you buddy. I downloaded bru n water but was quickly overwhelmed when I opened it (admittedly didn't spend much time looking at it). I'm on well water which I run through an ro system. I just need to spend more time learning that bru n water I guess.

Thanks again
Neil

Thank you buddy. I downloaded bru n water but was quickly overwhelmed when I opened it (admittedly didn't spend much time looking at it). I'm on well water which I run through an ro system. I just need to spend more time learning that bru n water I guess.

Thanks again
Neil
No problem. It took me a couple of iterations of practice on BrunWater to figure out what I was doing. Still learning, but getting better.

Not sure if you got the paid version. I found that the features in the paid version are really worth it. Makes using the program easier. Plus, Martin sends out regular updates; this screenshot is from version 5.5

Thanks again
Neil

Really take the time to read the water knowledge tab. Like set aside the time to really read through it because things will start to make sense then. As for my water profile, it was pretty similar to @EtchyLives

Ca: 76 ppm
Mg: 0
Na: 23 ppm
Sulfate: 47 ppm
Cl: 40 ppm
Bicarb: 165 ppm

I sent him 10 bucks to snag the paid version. We will see when it shows up. I will get to reading. I have my own private well and run my water that I brew with through an ro system I purchased from amazon. I look forward to playing around. Thanks for your numbers guys!
Neil

I just kegged both batches last week, and they both taste great! The low-pH batch didn't attenuate as well as the other batch, (1.024 vs 1.018), but it's still quite drinkable. Since having two very similar beers on tap bothers me I'm going to use this as an excuse to finally hook up my nitro setup and have some flat but foamy fun with the low-pH batch. :mug:
Bean-O

Planning on giving this one a shot, brewing it this weekend, probably Saturday. I've got it entered into Beersmith and scaled to a 1.5 gallon batch. My LHBS has everything I need for it in stock.

I recently bought two new 5 gallon corny kegs and if this turns out as good as advertised I may be christening one of them early next year with this beer.

Kegged this last weekend and it lives up to the hype. Even my wife, who really only likes sour beers and never drinks stouts, thought this one was good.

I will be attempting this on Saturday. I picked up my grains from Midwest today and will make a starter tomorrow morning.
This will be my second all grain. I will be doing a batch sparge being I don't have the equipment to fly sparge.
Wish me luck and I will post my experiences and mistakes.

Plan to brew this on Saturday, has anyone tried it with hornidial kveik? Thinking of giving it a go as it works crazy fast just not sure if it’ll throw up those fruity flavors which I’m not wanting in this brew.

... has anyone tried it with hornidial kveik? ....

I have some anecdotal evidence that suggests this might work.

I just brewed 3 beers with Imperial Loki (likely similar to Horindal) and although two of the beers were "citrusy" NEIPAs, the third was a piwo grodziskie (smoked wheat ale) with an OG of 1.032. The piwo was super clean despite being fermented at 84F ramping to about 91F, so I'm also contemplating this yeast for an imperial stout.

Based on my experience with my Piwo, I don't think that the "candied orange" flavor that some have reported would be noticeable in a such a flavorful stout with chocolate and lactose.

I will be attempting this on Saturday. I picked up my grains from Midwest today and will make a starter tomorrow morning.
This will be my second all grain. I will be doing a batch sparge being I don't have the equipment to fly sparge.
Wish me luck and I will post my experiences and mistakes.
I did brew this last week and only came in at 1.050 SG. It's fermenting nicely but wish I would have came in higher.

Pretty much made this recipe but with a few different amounts in the grain weights.

To bad I put the 60 min hops in at 90min.....idiot. Then on top of that seeing as its winter here I can't use my garden hose for chilling the wort so I ended up just keeping the lid on after the boil and racked it to the fermenter in the morning. The wort was still at 89f 8hrs later.

Hydro sample this morning had a bit of a harsh bitterness at the end as expected. I hope it dies down once it kegged.

Hello. Just signed up to say thanks for the recipe. Was my first Stout, and its now on the bottles. Had a little miscalculation with the volumes of water and ended in a OG of 1.053 and a FG of 1.022. Other than that, is looks and tastes very good, but I think it still needs a little more time to mature. I will try and upload a photo when I can . Cheers

And here it is. People liked it, even tho I think it came out with little carbonation, but that was my fault. I dont really know if its more accurate to put the fermentation temp or the cold crash one in the priming calculators. Anyway, its good. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20190428-WA0012.jpeg
    IMG-20190428-WA0012.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 155
Fermentation temperature, as the elevated temperature will drive out CO2 from the fermentation and you will not gain CO2 upon cold crashing.

Once you cold crash, the residual CO2 concentration from fermentation will still be higher than atmospheric CO2 concentrations, so you will not gain any CO2.

I'm wanting to Imperialize this recipe, up to around 1.085(ish).
My thoughts are to increase the flaked grains and base grains only (with a touch more chocolate malt only).

then my plan is to "triple raspberry it". i.e. my standard rate of addition for adding raspberry is 2.25kg for a 21 litre batch, instead of this, I plan to add 6kg to it after ferment is complete. along with my standard addition of cacao nib (roasted) to give it some extra chocolate zing.

what are peoples thoughts on this?

I'm wanting to Imperialize this recipe, up to around 1.085(ish).
My thoughts are to increase the flaked grains and base grains only (with a touch more chocolate malt only).

then my plan is to "triple raspberry it". i.e. my standard rate of addition for adding raspberry is 2.25kg for a 21 litre batch, instead of this, I plan to add 6kg to it after ferment is complete. along with my standard addition of cacao nib (roasted) to give it some extra chocolate zing.

what are peoples thoughts on this?

Yeah, you've got it right. Just increase the base & flaked grains to bring the OG up to where you want it.

I've made this several times and it's a fantastic beer. Today, I really messed up though!!! Smart me, didn't do my conversions correctly ie: grams to lbs, and I ended up adding 2 lbs of lactose to this batch. Obviously I assume this is going to be incredibly sweet, hopefully it's still drinkable. My OG was 1.070 and I'm hoping I can get this down below 1.025 still.

I highly doubt this, but has anyone brewed with this much lactose before? What were the results?? Fingers crossed for this batch!!!

I've made this several times and it's a fantastic beer. Today, I really messed up though!!! Smart me, didn't do my conversions correctly ie: grams to lbs, and I ended up adding 2 lbs of lactose to this batch. Obviously I assume this is going to be incredibly sweet, hopefully it's still drinkable. My OG was 1.070 and I'm hoping I can get this down below 1.025 still.

I highly doubt this, but has anyone brewed with this much lactose before? What were the results?? Fingers crossed for this batch!!!

make another batch without lactose and mix'em together! :cask::tank:

Will add about 17 points of gravity (if 5 gal batch) that the yeast can’t touch. So you’d need to finish at 1.008 “normally” if you want 1.025.

make another batch without lactose and mix'em together! :cask::tank:

This is probably the best solution, I might have time this week to brew again. There hasn’t been much activity in the airlock which I guess is to be expected with all that lactose. I’ll get a gravity reading in a couple of days and have a taste. Thanks for the feedback.

This is probably the best solution, I might have time this week to brew again. There hasn’t been much activity in the airlock which I guess is to be expected with all that lactose. I’ll get a gravity reading in a couple of days and have a taste. Thanks for the feedback.
Quick update, I just kegged and sampled. It’s actually really good, and it’s very sweet. It finished up at 1.033. I didn’t have time to brew again last week without the lactose. I’ll carb this and try again. Might have a great dessert beer on my hands or might have to brew again without the lactose and blend. We shall see......

Trying to put this recipe together in brewfather to give it a crack this coming weekend. How many people are overhitting the target OG by a considerable amount with the published quantities? Based on that grain bill, batch size and a mash efficiency (not BH) of 70% the estimated OG is coming out at 1.068. My mash efficiency is typically around 80% which would put me at an OG of 1.076!

Trying to put this recipe together in brewfather to give it a crack this coming weekend. How many people are overhitting the target OG by a considerable amount with the published quantities? Based on that grain bill, batch size and a mash efficiency (not BH) of 70% the estimated OG is coming out at 1.068. My mash efficiency is typically around 80% which would put me at an OG of 1.076!

Anytime you take someone else's recipe and brew it, you should be adjusting it for your own equipment. I assume most seasoned brewers do that, but I would imagine that lesser experienced ones might not. I BIAB, so I have no hot side losses and typically do 90 min boils so my BHE is usually around 85%. To brew this recipe on my system, I would leave all the other grains as-is but dial back the 2-row as needed to get my OG where I want it to be, which may or may not be per the recipe.

Thanks for the advice. I was also scaling back the recipe to meet the target OG of 1.062 on my system. Was doing this by simply maintaining the percentages but started to get worried that the speciality malt quantities would affect the actual resulting flavour of the beer. Perhaps its best to keep these specialty malts at the original quantities for the batch size and simply adjust the base malt like you have suggested?

Thanks for the advice. I was also scaling back the recipe to meet the target OG of 1.062 on my system. Was doing this by simply maintaining the percentages but started to get worried that the speciality malt quantities would affect the actual resulting flavour of the beer. Perhaps its best to keep these specialty malts at the original quantities for the batch size and simply adjust the base malt like you have suggested?

I think that common logic would state that the way to deal with varying efficiencies would be to adjust then entire recipe proportionally, but my in my own experience I have found that I prefer the results from just tweaking the base grain amounts and leaving the specialty grains unchanged. In my experience, adjusting the entire recipe tends to result in a lack of desired flavor. Of course, YMMV, so you may want to do a bit of experimenting to see which you prefer. Different strokes and all that.

Also, welcome to HBT!

I think that common logic would state that the way to deal with varying efficiencies would be to adjust then entire recipe proportionally, but my in my own experience I have found that I prefer the results from just tweaking the base grain amounts and leaving the specialty grains unchanged. In my experience, adjusting the entire recipe tends to result in a lack of desired flavor. Of course, YMMV, so you may want to do a bit of experimenting to see which you prefer. Different strokes and all that.

Also, welcome to HBT!

This is actually the recommended approach (scaling base malt to increase OG while retaining original speciality grains amounts. At least what I have seen/heard/read.

So +1 to the advice!

This is actually the recommended approach (scaling base malt to increase OG while retaining original speciality grains amounts. At least what I have seen/heard/read.

So +1 to the advice!

I started a thread about this a few days ago but got no reply.
I can imagine if you are getting less efficiency that the malts that need to be mashed would take the biggest hit. Meaning that the proportion of sugars from the part of the mash that only needs to be soaked would be higher which may have a significant effect on the color and flavor of the end product, especially if you have a lot of crystal or roast malt.

If you play with Beer Smith and keep the OG and ratios constant but adjust the efficiency you will see that the color changes a lot. Same for keeping the amount of crystal/roast malt constant but varying the base malt to hit the required OG.

There must be some reliable calculation for keeping it all balanced and close to the recipe you are trying to copy. :cool:

Back