Sweet Stout Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after drinking this further, and sharing it with a few friends that love stouts, we've agreed:

It's a bit too 'dry'. Now yes, I know this isn't a dry beer (FG was 1.023 for me), but there is some soft astringency from the 1lb of Roasted Barley. I also don't get as much chocolate flavor that I get from LHMS; I get more coffee and esspresso. This makes the beer taste drier than it actually is. The astringency from the RB, and the heavy roasted notes were the big difference from this clone and LHMS. So next time i brew this I'm going to:

-Cut Roasted Barley to 10oz, possibly 8oz
-Up Chocolate to 14oz
-Mash much higher, I'm thinking 154-158.
-Also cut the 10min hop addition to 0.5oz

The recipe listed is absolutely fantastic, but it blurs the lines between a dry stout and milk stout in taste for me. It's a great beer, but i'm looking to get closer to LHMS, and the sweet stout BJCP category. This recipe obviously has a lot of mouthfeel, but it lacks the creamy chocolate smoothness that LHMS has.

I'll give it a re-brew, and li'll post how the revised recipe turned out.

Thats interesting. After I brewed this and let it age for about 2 months, I bought a real LHMS from the store. Then tasted them side by side blind. I couldnt tell which one was which. They were pretty much identical.

Brewed this on Saturday, 5 gals. The only thing I changed is the flaked oats to .5 lbs. The aroma smells great when brewing. Sitting at 63F and hit my numbers. Will see how it matches up to the Milk Oatmeal Stout which so far is about the best Stout I ever tasted and brewed.:)

Thats interesting. After I brewed this and let it age for about 2 months, I bought a real LHMS from the store. Then tasted them side by side blind. I couldnt tell which one was which. They were pretty much identical.

Keep in mind, none of those changes are dramatic. The difference could simply be difference in malts from different maltsters, or just the difference in everyone's brewing system. For my ingredients and system, a little less RB, a little more chocolate, and a higher mash temp are probably going to be the ticket.

Unfortunately, I won't be re-brewing this for a little while to tell. It'll probably be at least 2-3 months.

Putting ingredients together today. What do you folks think of using 7 lbs of Marris Otter instead of regular 2-Row. Just got my bulk grain supplies and I am ready to go on a brewing spree :)

Can't wait to get this one under flame.

Sheldon

Hi,

So I was at my local suppliers on the way from a memorial service to a baby shower. I didn't have any recipe, but had in mind to make an Edmund Fitzgerald. Couldn't find the recipe at the shop. A person behind me says to make Left Handed Milk Stout. He's making a partial mash(?) but will give my supplier a whole grain recipe on his phone. He did and said it would be no problem to look up this recipe on-line. I looked it up and thought it was this one. Turns out it wasn't. It was this one:
Left Hand Milk Stout Clone
Sweet Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 6/28/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.08 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 61.22 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.7 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
17.60 oz Lactose (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.88 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 23.3 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 39.7 SRM Color:
So I basically followed half the homebrew recipe and half his. I'm not sure the 1/5 ounces of Goldings for bittering made sense - he sent me the recipe after I was done brewing. I went out again and got some Magnum at a dicey supplier/package store that was closer to my house. He took the pellet hops from an open 1# package.

I used the 1# Lactose. I threw in a whole pound of flaked barley. I'm not sure what difference this will make. Like others, I'm a bit surprised at the amount of roasted barley. I could taste that in the wort. Other than that it tasted pretty good. I dumped the wort on top of some yeast from my previous batch that I kegged the same day.

Anyway, a lot of these recipes seem similar. If I used Northern brewer and Willamette hops, I wouldn't have had to buy any hops as I had Northern brewer in my freezer and I grow Willamette. i think it will be a good stout.

Oh, my OSG was 1.073 - perhaps a little higher as I didn't adjust for temp. Seems others got this OSG or close. I also used some major water adjustments based on the SRM and the EZ Water Adjustment Spreadsheet.

Going to brew this beer sometime in the next week or so. Any thoughts on using White Labs English Ale WLP002? I've got some in the fridge that I washed a while back and would like to use it soon.

If not I'll wait a couple of weeks and toss it on a US05 yeast cake that is currently fermenting Ed's Stone IPA clone.

Well this turned out great. Brewed on 4/15 and have it a bottle for 5 weeks. Tastes great. The mint additional I did is nice a mellow in the background of this beer. I had one at 2 weeks and it was horrible. This improved greatly with age.

I will try and buy a LFMS soon so I can do a comparison and see how much the mint changed this beer.

Brewed this last night and everything went well. OG came in right at 1.066.

Strange thing though, I ended up with over 6 gallons of beer doing BIAB. Not sure where the extra wort came from but the OG was spot on. I used my normal mash volume (no sparge) but didn't get the same absorption. I would have thought the flaked oats/barley would absorb more liquid. I tried to boil off a much as I could but finally got tired and cut the burner with about 6.5 gallons of wort. I now have a verrry full better bottle. Blow off tube in place!

I mashed this a little high at 154 degrees, which I hope doesn't make it too sweet.

So I really would like to brew this for my next batch. As I only have 3 batches under my belt and have not gone AG yet or never done a BIAB, does the extract/steeping recipe on pg 5 look okay? What changes would be made to that recipe (if any)? Or does anyone have a good extract recipe for this beer?

Planning on brewing this up on Friday and was thinking of throwing in a couple vanilla beans & cacao nibs in after about a week of fermentation. Any thoughts? I've never had the original.

Grinch said:
Planning on brewing this up on Friday and was thinking of throwing in a couple vanilla beans & cacao nibs in after about a week of fermentation. Any thoughts? I've never had the original.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. LHMS is already quite sweet, I would think the vanilla would make it even sweeter tasting. I find vanilla is better in a more coffee oriented dry stout. Maybe split the batch and test it.

Sounds good. Thank you for the advice! I was thinking it would cross over to something like Aphrodisiaque from Dieu Du Ciel (another beer I have not tried but sounds REALLY good). I haven't used either nibs or beans in my brews as of yet and I guess I'll wait for now..

just got done brewing this and ended up with 1.068 and just a bit under 5 gal in the bucket. This is my first time actually coming close to hitting the numbers... I am psyched!!!

just got done brewing this and ended up with 1.068 and just a bit under 5 gal in the bucket. This is my first time actually coming close to hitting the numbers... I am psyched!!!

I brewed this up about a month ago, and it was also the first time I hit my numbers dead on.

A quick note: There was a whitish film that formed on the surface of the wort during fermentation. Initially I thought the worst: infection, wasted batch. But after searching around the forum I read that it's common to have this sort of funky film form when using adjuncts like lactose.

Just in case you guys see it and weren't aware.

It smells great, can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for posting!

I brewed this about 2 weeks ago and it has been the slowest fermentation I've ever had. Hit 1.068OG it's only down to 1.040. I took a reading last friday and another one today to verify that it's still dropping, but man it's taking it's time. I pitched the wort over an existing cake of US05 and figured it would take off like crazy.

Anyone else have this happen?

Got the boil on right now and this stuff smells incredible! Very chocolate-y and roasty. Going to be hard waiting for this one to be ready.

I'm going to do an 11 gallon batch of this clone. I'm just going to double all of the ingredients but should I double the lactose? I've never brewed with it before so I don't really know the effects.

I would do 2 lbs.
are you shooting for 11 at the end of the boil?
12 gal in the boil kettle
11 after the boil
10.5 to the fermentor
10 or 2- 5's to the keg?

7, 6, 5.5, 5

I'm going to do an 11 gallon batch of this clone. I'm just going to double all of the ingredients but should I double the lactose? I've never brewed with it before so I don't really know the effects.

I really want to make this next and I'm fairly new at all-grain brewing. I've good luck with the 1 batch of all-grain oatmeal stout I brewed, and I have another batch in the secondary. I really want to make this next, but I had a question about the mash temps. You have two temperatures listed, "75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F". I'm a little confused by the 2 temps. Is the 162.5 the temp of the strike water and 151 the temp you hold the grains at for the mash? Also, what temp do you heat the water for the batch sparging?

I think (but I'm not sure) that what they mean is heat the water to 162.5. Once the grain is added, it should give you a mash temperature of 151. I believe I had read that sparging temps should be around 175.

I really want to make this next and I'm fairly new at all-grain brewing. I've good luck with the 1 batch of all-grain oatmeal stout I brewed, and I have another batch in the secondary. I really want to make this next, but I had a question about the mash temps. You have two temperatures listed, "75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F". I'm a little confused by the 2 temps. Is the 162.5 the temp of the strike water and 151 the temp you hold the grains at for the mash? Also, what temp do you heat the water for the batch sparging?

Correct. I always sparge with 170 F water. The hotter the better really but any higher and (depending on pH, which I don't measure) you'll might start extracting tannins from the grain. I do 170 to play it safe.

Edit: I should add that I mash on the stove when I can, and raise the mash to 170 before the first runnings. If you're mashing in a cooler you'll probably want to do near-boiling water for the first batch sparge (since your grainbed will be at 150ish) to raise the grainbed to 170, then do the 2nd batch sparge with 170 F water. If any of this is confusing you should hunt around the General Techniques forum for more info. There's a ton of good threads on there about batch sparging.

Thank you so much!! I am very excited about trying out this recipe and I will look at the General techniques forum. I didn't even realize that forum was there.

I brewed this a week ago. OG was 1.064 for 5.1 gallons and I've been stuck at 1.027 all week. Pitched some more yeast two days ago, but nothing has happened or it's just gonna be a very slow ferment. Will leave it in primary for another week and then cold crash it in my garage before bottling. Tastes great so far. Little on the sweet side... it is what it is.

Note: After three days, the re-pitch didn't do a thing. Guess this sucker is just gonna be on the sweet side. Transferred to secondary and gonna cold crash in my garage for a week before bottling.

thyirishmen said:
I plugged this all into beer tools pro and my SRM is 30.53 any idea why, all my grain ratios are % on.

Check the L of the chocolate malt and roasted barley. I had drop my roasted barley a lot because the stuff I bought was 500L instead of 350L. Btw just tasted my FG sample and I'd be content drinking it warm and flat. can't wait to share this at Xmas parties

Well I made this beer this weekend. I was shooting for 1.065 but i hit 1.072. my eff must have gone up compared to my previous brews. Everything hit right on the money mashed exactly at 151 for 75 min. I made a starter though. Its fermenting nicely as we speak. It should be ready December 16th. Very excited smells great!

wasn't sure if everyone knew about this, but this brew is setup on brewmasterswarehouse.com

Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

I appreciate your post. Considering trying out this recipe. Thanks!

Figuring I am currently brewing this. It's in the mash tun.... I just noticed on the brewmaster's it says 0.5 oz Magnum, while adx's calls for 0.35oz. goldings are at 5 min vs 10 as well.

What yeast are ya'll using?
I've use US05 and US04 with good results.
I just brewed a Lagunitas Censored Copper Ale clone using WLP002 and I'm considering using some of the cake for the Left Hand.
It had very little activity in my blow off bucket, but it's already down to the FG.

Here's my entries at Brewmasters, both All Grain and Extract. I've done them both and they are FINE. Looks like the same one above.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com...outlaw-brewers-left-hand-milk-stout-all-grain

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com...s-outlaw-brewers-left-hand-milk-stout-extract

Back