Left Hand Brewing attempting to trademark "Nitro"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatjonguy

Now with 57.93% more awesome!
Reaction score
Left Hand Brewing is apparently trying to trademark the word "Nitro".

Reddit is blowing up with hate for them and calls for boycotts. Left Hand has already posted a statement.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_25371470/left-hand-brewing-seeks-trademark-nitro-term

Let's try to keep this civil and out of the debate forum. (I didn't see this up for discussion anywhere else, I apologize if it has been covered).

I will be surprised if they receive a trademark for the term, but understand their idea behind wanting the trademark.

Honestly, I think this has a lot to do with cases that Bud and Co have brought against craft brewers. Remember when Dogfish was sued by Bud? I would think Lefthand doesn't want the same.

How about "bottle conditioned". That would be a great trademark. I'll gladly stop drinking Left hand until they get their head out of their asses. Although, I'll dig a bit further into the issue first. I prefer to stay away from the mob mentality.

I think it's too broad.

At the same time, it's akin to Anchor owning the trademark for "Steam"...

I personally think that is more unique and distinct than Left Hand's use of Nitro, though, especially since Guinness has been packaging w/ nitro in bottles for some time...

It seems too broad, but at the same time, they may have a case. If they are the first to successfully bottle a nitrogen carbonated beer, then it seems the rewards for such a unique product should go to them.

However, there is no way they could keep people naming beers poured with nitrogen from tap, nitro. That is common practice and might even extend to bottled beers due to it's common nature, I don't know.

I don't think they SHOULD be given trademark on that name, and I really don't think they WILL, but kudos to them for seeing an opportunity to make their beer unique and having an easy to remember and descriptive name. Anyone with business skills would want to do the same.

Not a fan of this as I believe it's too broad. Even if they do have a successful bottling method, "nitro" stouts have been on tap for years now.

Sounds to me like they're just trying to pre-empt someone from suing them over the term. CYA, so to speak. Maybe they ought to trademark "nitro-bottle" or something like that.

Back