Leaving the Blow Off On

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingjam99

Reaction score
Can I leave my blow off tube on the fermenter. I am leaving it in the primary (no secondary) for 4 weeks. I did not get any "crud" in my blow off tube and or my sanitized liquid lock...that I can see. The only reason I really use a blow off, is because I ferment in a temp controlled chest freezer and a traditional air lock does not fit if the freezer lid is closed. I read that you should change to an air lock, but i do not know why. I would rather just leave it be. Should I change the sanitized water in the pitcher the blow off is in. I used left over Star san solution from when I made the batch. Thanks for the help. :mug:

I suppose you can leave the blow off tube there with no problems. I like to switch to an airlock because it is easier to measure the rate of fermentation by the bubbles.

I don't see why you couldn't leave it on, I think most people prefer them since an airlock is much smaller then the tubing and container.

Of course you can. It is an air lock after all.

I switch back to the 'airlock' as it is more quiet and I use my bedroom closet to ferment. Yours being in a freezer won't have that problem.

for those that use blow offs all the time - do you change the sanitized water in the overflow container, add more sanitizer to it or just leave it as is during the entire fermentation process?

for those that use blow offs all the time - do you change the sanitized water in the overflow container, add more sanitizer to it or just leave it as is during the entire fermentation process?

I have left many a brew with the blow off for the duration. I never swap out the sanitizer from the beginning. The only real concern would be suck back, which I haven't experienced.

I could see changing the sanitizer if you have so much blow off that crud gets in to the over flow container, it would be exposed to the elements and then start to mold.

Of course you can. It is an air lock after all.

I switch back to the 'airlock' as it is more quiet and I use my bedroom closet to ferment. Yours being in a freezer won't have that problem.

+1 - It would't hurt to change to some fresh star san solution half way through though, i probably would. Also, be careful if you cold crash, you can easily suck up suck up all that sanitizer.

Wait...how is it going to suck up the sanitizer when I cold crash....the sanitizer is a little bit lower then the top of the fermenter

Quickly dropping the temperature in the carboy will create a vacuum and suck up the sanitizer water. Just use a sanitiZed piece of tinfoil when you crash. There's very little risk of contamination at that point in the process. I used to use an airlock during cold crash but it sucked in the water and some outside air anyway.

Latest posts

Back