Leaving in fermentation bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comicsandbeer83

Reaction score
So I started this batch of ESB on January 3 and it calls to be left in the primary for 10 days then bottled. However, I am not quite ready to bottle because I do not have my bottles prepared just yet. Should be ready in several days. My question is should I rack it to get the beer out of the yeast cake or is it okay to leave it for up to 3 more days before I bottle? I would hate for the beer to start developing funky flavors from swimming around in used up yeast cake.

You can leave that beer on the yeast cake for at least a month. Actually, I leave almost all my beers in primary for 3-4 weeks.

Thanks. Also, have you ever bottled from a carboy before? I was going to this time if I do not rack it because I fermented in the plastic bucket because my carboy is only 5 gallons. I was thinking if I do not rack it then it would be less time consuming for me to just siphon into the carboy and bottle in several days. What do you think? I figure it probably doesn't matter one way or the other.

I would have to hear the process you plan on before making that call, how will you introduce the priming sugar/solution? Will you use an auto siphon and bottling wand? Its do-able, I just think you need to plan out how to make it go smoothly.

I make 3.5 gal batches so I ferment in a 5 gal carboy. I auto siphon to a 3 gal carboy to add priming sugar and then auto siphon and use a bottling wand to bottle. Or if I want to add anything I leave it in the 3 gal as a secondary. It seems minimize oxygen that way

I would have to hear the process you plan on before making that call, how will you introduce the priming sugar/solution? Will you use an auto siphon and bottling wand? Its do-able, I just think you need to plan out how to make it go smoothly.

I plan to pour the priming sugar water solution in the carboy and then use and auto siphon to mix the beer into it from the primary. Then I will use the auto siphon along with a bottling wand.

That totally makes sense, sorry, I was thinking the beer was already in the carboy and couldn't see how you would add priming to that and mix it up. It makes sense now.

Doesn't matter how big your bottling vessel is so long as all the beer and sugar fits ;)

Back