Leave the poor alcohol alone! (a rant)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beta pleated sheet

Reaction score
I am sick and tired of self-righteous people who act like alcohol is bad, and evil, and bringing about the end of society. That's not alcohol's doing, that's all the fault of idiots who become more idiotic when they're smashed. Go hate them, and stop giving hell to my booze! And what about the poor yeast? They didn't mean to make people get drunk and act stupid. At least show them a little respect by saying "Yes, beer and wine are good. Thank you, yeast, we would be screwed without you."

And, besides, alcohol is good! What did the pirates and other seafaring folks drink when they were stuck on a boat with little clean water? What did everybody else drink when there were no sources of good, clean water? What was the first permenant building built by American settlers? Without alcohol, everyone would have died, and no one would be here now to piss and moan about it. So there.

Yes. Compared to say tobacco, alcohol is superior. As we all know, smoking is just bad for your health and bad for your breath. Alcohol on the other hand at least makes you feel good while dragging you down in the gutter :mug:

Most importantly, though -you can't run cars on tobacco:p

/
H

And that wasn't milk they were passing around. ;)

last_supper.jpg

Yes. Compared to say tobacco, alcohol is superior. As we all know, smoking is just bad for your health and bad for your breath.

Actually, studies show that smoking a pipe has a positive effect on longevity. It's just cigarettes and junk like that that is bad for you...

And that wasn't milk they were passing around.

My inlaws belong to a church that thinks all drinking is evil. Not sure how they've ever squared that with the whole turning water into wine at the wedding thing. What do they think he did it for, a fun party trick? He was trying to get the guests sh*tfaced!

Now, I grew up in a German Catholic family. My wife was shocked when the priest boozed it up at my sister's wedding. And even more shocked when all the family, friends, and neighbors got blasted the night before my Grandmother's funeral.

Actually, studies show that smoking a pipe has a positive effect on longevity. It's just cigarettes and junk like that that is bad for you...

My curiosity is piqued. Please elaborate. I ask because I hate cigarattes, but I have always enjoyed the smell of a pipe.

Not that I'm discounting the pipe theory completely, but there's a good chance that the statistics go something like this:

More old people smoke pipes than young people. Therefore, people who smoke pipes live longer.

Now, I grew up in a German Catholic family. My wife was shocked when the priest boozed it up at my sister's wedding. And even more shocked when all the family, friends, and neighbors got blasted the night before my Grandmother's funeral.

You know it is a good German/Catholic funeral when you wake up the next morning whishing YOU were the one in the casket.... My wife's grandmothers funeral was where I learned that cheap champagne + cheap BMC mixed = a not so bad ticket to hangover land...:drunk:

My inlaws belong to a church that thinks all drinking is evil. Not sure how they've ever squared that with the whole turning water into wine at the wedding thing. What do they think he did it for, a fun party trick? He was trying to get the guests sh*tfaced!

I know people who honestly think that Jesus turned water into grape juice. WTF?

LOL @ "Myth of Natural Fermentation" and bad science! I can come up with a better explanation for why god loves beer!

Christians believe that God created everything on earth for a reason. God created yeast and gave them the ability to ferment sugars. Therefore, drinking thanks God for the plentiful and wonderful creations of nature. AMEN!

LOL at absurd logic...
If you have ever seen a painting of the last supper you will know that Jesus was depicted holding up a cluster of grapes at the last supper, not a Budweiser.

Question: Since when does a Renaissance painting lend proof to the meaning of something written many hundreds of years earlier in the Bible?
Apparent Answer: When it appears to support what the author wants it to.

haha I had some cooky guy on my campus the other day. After answering a question he called me a heathen and told me that i was going to hell. I was going to say something but i figured it was useless.... it was kind of funny as soon as i walked away. because I realized a very important point... I wasnt the one holding giant posters, looking crazy, and yelling to a bunch of people who dont give a damn. woohooo for crazies!!!

My curiosity is piqued. Please elaborate. I ask because I hate cigarattes, but I have always enjoyed the smell of a pipe.

Well, without even googling this top for research, I will give my uninformed opinion :D

From what I have been led to believe, it's not so much the actual tobacco that causes cancer and kills you. I hear tell that it's more the things that are ADDED to ciggarette tobacco (Supposedly to make it more addictive) that actually cause the cancer... or make it more likely to occur. So, the tobacco purchased for rolling your own, or pipes, or even cigars, has not been laced with these "other chemicals" and would be better for you that commercially available ciggies. I believe this was touched on in the Russell Crowe/Al Pacino movie "The Insider"

Since when does a Renaissance painting lend proof to the meaning of something written many hundreds of years earlier in the Bible?
Apparent Answer: When it appears to support what the author wants it to.

Oh come on. Everyone knows that God painted The Last Supper...

Well, without even googling this top for research, I will give my uninformed opinion :D

From what I have been led to believe, it's not so much the actual tobacco that causes cancer and kills you. I hear tell that it's more the things that are ADDED to ciggarette tobacco (Supposedly to make it more addictive) that actually cause the cancer... or make it more likely to occur. So, the tobacco purchased for rolling your own, or pipes, or even cigars, has not been laced with these "other chemicals" and would be better for you that commercially available ciggies. I believe this was touched on in the Russell Crowe/Al Pacino movie "The Insider"

:off: I'll throw my 2-cents in since I've done some research on this over the years. Tobacco contains carcinogens. (But so do a lot of things we consume.) The primary carcinogens in tobacco are called nitrosamines. These are present in various quantities in different forms of tobacco. Cigarettes are like 40% actual tobacco. The rest is "fillers" made up of a couple different things. One is some sort of "paper" made from a liquified mixture of factory floor dustings (tobacco) and stale cigarettes (returned to the manufacturer). Cigarette manufacturers also add ammonia compounds and other chemicals to smooth out the flavor (less harsh) and enhance nicotine absorption. This combination of chemicals, tobacco, the general high addictiveness of cigarettes, and the route of exposure for the tobacco smoke (inhalation) make it a pretty potent carcinogen. But, unless an individual has a high genetic predisposition to cancer, it takes years of repeated exposure to get cancer from tobacco.

As for pipes and cigar tobacco, (quality pipe tobacco and handmade cigars), they are generally made of all tobacco. The worst thing added to pipe tobacco is in flavored (called "cased") pipe tobacco which might have some propylene glycol added to prevent it from drying out. Pipes and cigars are also not intended to be inhaled. They aren't really addictive like cigarettes. When have you ever seen anyone "jonesing" for a cigar? Sure, heavy cigar or pipe smoking can lead to oral cancer, but low to moderate use is pretty low risk if you ask me. Studies have shown that 2 pipes or cigars per day show no difference in oral cancer risk over non-smokers. One outlying variable is the use of hard liquor (or routinely rinsing with alcohol-based mouthwash). Routine consumption of hard liquor in combination with routine pipe/cigar smoking (like 10+ per day)has shown an increased rate of oral cancer (Ulysses Grant, e.g.). The theory is that high-alcohol beverages damage cells, leaving them more prone to permanent DNA damage by the tobacco.

So, to sum up, cigarettes = bad. Pipes/cigars = not so bad.

Being a Puritan means waking up in a cold sweat because: Someone, somewhere might be having a good time.

Had an acquaintance who was absolute h3ll on drinking. One drink & you were drunk, no discussion. Died in a solo spinout. BAL 0.27

haha I had some cooky guy on my campus the other day. After answering a question he called me a heathen and told me that i was going to hell. I was going to say something but i figured it was useless.... it was kind of funny as soon as i walked away. because I realized a very important point... I wasnt the one holding giant posters, looking crazy, and yelling to a bunch of people who dont give a damn. woohooo for crazies!!!

Who wants to go to heaven anyways? It is full of Christians! :mug:

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
~Mark Twain

Back