leave kegs on deck instead of fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
would the temperature changes effect the flavor of the beer a lot if i left the carbed kegs out on the deck for a week or 2 while serving?
10-Day Forecast

High /Low (°F)
Today
Mar 05 Partly Cloudy 42°/32°

Fri
Mar 06 Few Showers 50°/37°

Sat
Mar 07 Few Showers 58°/42°

Sun
Mar 08 Mostly Cloudy 64°/48°

Mon
Mar 09 Cloudy 51°/34°

Tue
Mar 10 Mostly Cloudy 43°/33°

Wed
Mar 11 Showers 47°/31°

Thu
Mar 12 Partly Cloudy 43°/24°

Fri
Mar 13 Partly Cloudy 40°/28°

Sat
Mar 14 Snow Shower 38°/25°

It won't change the flavor of the beer much, but when it gets warmer your beer will get flatter - which means you'll have to turn the gas up to keep it carbed like you want. But then when you turn the gas up, you'll have too much pressure to pour without getting a lot of foam so what you'll have to do is turn the gas down, vent the keg, drink your beers and then turn the gas back up like you want it when you're done drinking.

And then when it gets colder, you can turn the gas back down but your beer might be more fizzier than you expect for a day or two till it evens back out.

I don't think it will do much to the flavor so much as the carbonation.

I'd cover them with something. Direct sun will heat them up faster than you might think.

I wish I could remember the link, but IIRC it works like this.

If you have a beer that will stay stable on the shelf for say 6 months with no noticeable flavor changes, it will lose a significant portion of it;s shelf life with temp and age. Beer and wine both like to be around 60ish. At 70, those 6 months would be reduced to 3, at 70 you would get a few weeks to a month, at 80 a week or so, at 90 a couple days and 100 or over, your beer can go bad in a day. I would imagine direct sun could heat up those kegs at least into the 80s or 90s on those warmer days. So by the end of the week, all your beer could be going bad, and freezing may damage some parts on the if they're filled with liquid.

If you store at 50, you get like 6-12 months, 40 is around 12-18 months, and close to freezing you could get well over a year and a half. Of course, this all involves a beer that has any noticeable changes after about 3 months of typical storage, your beer may vary.

Back