Leathery scum after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyds1957

Reaction score
I’ve been brewing for sometime now and my last two batches I’ve had a leathery substance floating on top after cooling. It’s not sticky but is a texture like wet leather. I am adding a couple pictures. It seems to floc together and comes out in one piece. Anyone seen this?
2A47AE54-24DF-4BA0-926D-BEDC376D2ACE.jpeg

Greetings, @garyds1957, and welcome to the forums at HBT! :mug:

I confess I have never seen anything similar. By "after cooling", was this floating in the boil kettle?
Did you use a kettle fining of some type?
Perhaps relating the recipe and any interesting process particulars might help understand how that could come about...

Cheers!

Yes, it’s in the kettle. I do add a floc tab during last 5 min of boil. The only thing I started doing different is circulating while cooling. With that being said it tends to foam quite a lot.

Well I suppose the flocc tab provided the conglomerative effect one actually wants. Weird though that the result ended up floating - although the "foam" thing may be a clue, as it could entrain buoyancy into the congealing mass.

I doubt there's any actual concern wrt the quality of the beer - at least it should be easy to leave that stuff behind :D

Cheers!

Yeah, I think it’s the due to the foam and floc tab too , I’m not going to circulate on the next one and see if it returns. Thanks for the reply!

gds

Next time I insult someone I'm def. stealing "leathery scum"
I just spent several minutes trying to think of a snappy reply to this without sounding really rude but couldn't. Darn political correctness outside the debate forum!! I too can think of many people I would call leathery scum...one being my deceased grandmother who hated me and I hated her back.

Back