Learning to Ride....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you mean take off 10 minutes off the commute? You'll spend 10 extra minutes getting suited up, but then the rest of the trip happens at mach 2 ;)

jk!

sirsloop said:
you mean take off 10 minutes off the commute? You'll spend 10 extra minutes getting suited up, but then the rest of the trip happens at mach 2 ;)

jk!

Yeah, I did make the actual trip to and from the office alot faster. But it took just as much time to get from door to door with all the suiting up and stuff. Of course, not having to actually sit in the bumper to bumper on the 405 was nice. Lane splitting speeds things up but is also very dangerous. Almost bought the farm a couple of times. Eventually, I went back to using the car as I could make calls and listen to the news while on the commute.

There's a lot of very biased information in this post... so I'll add a little of my own.

Start off small and learn to ride. If you are looking for a sport bike, I highly recomend the Ninja 250 as a starter. You can find one cheap ($1000) in perfect condition or new for a little over $3000. Ride it a month or so and then sell it and upgrade if you want. But that bike is not too small for anyone, only to small for someone with adequacy issues and thinks that a bigger engine gives him a bigger dick. It is a very forgiving bike and can be very fun to ride. And its veyr light, weighs like 305 lbs (unlike the tanks that HD puts out). The newer 600's are well, bikes on crack; they are still very light weight 380 lbs or so but a ton of power (I have an 03 R6). Yes they hit their power band at around 6000 rpms but they have more power below that than the Ninja 250 does at all. Just from putting it at full throttle they'll wheelie in 1st or 2nd gear when you hit 12k rpms(or so, I'm not really looking at the tach when that happens). But they only get 40 mph give or take, but they aren't designed for gas mileage, they're designed for performance and handling and they are very veyr good at it.

What I would suggest is an SV650. While I haven't ridden one, I've only heard good things about them. They are a little toned down as they are a V twin, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun on them, and they are a more up right seating position. Not that any sportbike is bad, if someone says their wrists hurt from riding a sportbike that's because they are putting all their weight there which you shouldn't, you should be able to hold yourself up.

And my favorite quite about the good 'ol HD's: HD, the most efficent means of turning gasonline into noise and vibrations without added side effect of hoursepower.

Do your research, there's a ton of motorcycle boards out there, look aroudn a few.

Dude comma V-twin hondas and such have the same vibrations at the engine that a HD has but they are rubber mounted and HD's aren't because people like it that way. If you destoyed the baffles in a "sport" bike they would be louder than a HD. Thats what most HD owners do comma I personally don't like it becasue of the sound but also that it srcews up the back pressure and will over heat the valves in the engine. HD's are easy to learn on I started riding one right when I was starting and the low end torque helps people get use to the clutch. HP can't be measured comma it's a calulation. Only torque can be measured because torque is what really does matter when accelerating. Torque is what gets you going HP is what keep you going.

I don't normally takes sides and since I have riden both comma own a honda comma come from a Harley family(Uncle been riding one since the 70's). I try to be as balenced as posible. But when people are bashing one side with facts that aren't true I feel I have to make sure people aren't getting the wrong idea.

lol... I love how defensive some people can get, lighten up a little, HAHB. Look at my opening line dumb***. I have some very constructive adivise including to not get a high end sportbike. I even suggested a V-twin.

"Why don't Harley riders wave to other bikers? Because they're afaid if they let go of the handlebars for a second the vibrations buck them off."

oh, and "comma"

Defensive? Me? Man you really never read my stuff do you. I've been here for about 2.5 years and am the senior active member on the board but still don't have over 1comma000 posts. I don't write stuff to get into fights or rashley try to prove a point. When someone reverts to name calling is when someone is getting "defensive". We can all agree that getting a 1200cc bike is not a good idea for a beginer. Now when people just start stating facts that are not true I take offense because the purpose of this board is to help people. You'll never see me call people names because whats the purpose? Now lets get back to helping jjasghar find a nice bike to learn on shall we?

And come on man comma if you try to make fun of me for using the word comma instead of the symbol take some time and read the posts on this board. I have.

eh, you're right, name calling is a little out of line. But please, please, all mighty senior active memeber list the "facts that are not true" that I have stated. So far, all you have done is taken offense, but you have not corrected anything to help out our new rider hear so that he can learn from the experienced memebers of your board.

sause said:
Dude comma V-twin hondas and such have the same vibrations at the engine that a HD has but they are rubber mounted and HD's aren't because people like it that way.

All Harely's are rubber mounted now and before this past year all the "Touring" and "Dyna" series were. I have a 98 Road King with 71,000 miles on it, many of those miles have been on extended trips and at speed it's smooth as silk.
The bottom line is get something your are comfortable on, take a riders course and ride, ride and ride more. After a while you can decide what you want based on "your" riding style.

First bit of advice, if I'm not too late here: Don't buy that bike you posted from Craigslist. Buy a bike with a brand name you recognize, and that non-bikers will recognize. This will also end up being a bike you can resell easily later. It will be a bike you can get parts for, and with a dealer (service) network that is nationwide/worldwide and very accessible. Same idea as buying a John Deere tractor instead of a korean brand that you can get cheap but not sure the dealer will be around in 5 years (or if he is around will he still cary that brand you bought from him).
Second: Take the MSF class, the beginner one, that provides a bike for you to use. Usually they have several styles of bike there, also usually smaller in the engine size, like the 250cc range. See what you like, what's comfortable to you. Remember that a parking lot is not the street, will the bike be enough bike for you on roads/highways/etc?
Get with a friend that is a rider, and take your time looking for used bikes -- do not be in a hurry or you will make a purchase you will later regret.
Third: Listen to all advice stated above regarding safety equipment!
Good luck, keep the rubber side down!

1 word.....

Vespa :)

vespa-psp.jpg

This might be a good alternative to a Vespa - really for a more aggressive beginner:

7589-Deeremotorcycletrikephoto.jpg

Have you seen that "Spyder" from Bombardier?
Take the class, wear the bucket. Have you ever seen the "after" picture of the shorts wearing-no helmet-and sandals with a t-shirt guy after a guardrail tap at 70 mph in a 45mph zone riding something bigger than they could handle? "Get a sponge."

I would suggest getting whatever you are comfortable with. If you want a sport bike, get one. If you want a cruiser, get one. If you just want to save on gas, get a Vespa.

mykayel said:
"Why don't Harley riders wave to other bikers? Because they're afaid if they let go of the handlebars for a second the vibrations buck them off."

No sure where this quote came from, but Harley rides probably wave to other bikers more than other riders. I know it is just a joke, but so uncalled for. Crotch Rocket riders give all motorcyclists a bad name, out there riding like complete A-holes.

BTW here is my 2005 rubber mounted V-Twin Super Glide Custom, with straight pipes. The EFI system has been adjusted specifically for the pipes. Loud Pipes Saves Lives. The motorists out there, not paying attention, can hear me from a 1/2 a mile away.

DCP_1683.jpg

Whatever your decision to get riding, be safe and pay attention to your surroundings at all times.

Back