Learning to brew: extract SMASH or kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
So far my beer brewing has been limited to essentially extract pseudo smashes. Since I grow hops all my beers have been one or two extracts and a combination of the hops I have. My beers have been nothing special but very drinkable. My hops are gone (not the plants, the picked hops) so I can either buy a kit or continue with my pseudo smashes.
What have people found to be more beneficial to learning the techniques of brewing? Kits or starting simple and getting more complicated over time?
Thanks,

SMaSH takes the variables out so that you can see what this malt or that hop does. SMaSH has value, particularly for the frequent brewers trying to learn the ingredients. OTOH, SMaSH brewing is indifferent to learning techniques.

Me, I would try different styles to learn techniques. The styles could come from kits or from recipes. Kits are merely a purchase option. You can purchase SMaSH kits. Some styles are simple. All are easy. Brewing more of whatever (whether the same thing over and over and over for the OCD "dial in the process" engineers or many different things for the bored cooks) while paying attention is the most beneficial.

My path has been to brew what I and SWMBO want to drink.

There is no wrong path.

Smash seems like a great way to learn if you have the time to brew very often, or want to focus on one style. If you're like me, and brew maybe 10-12 times a year, and like variety, it's not as attractive. In that case, I'd skip kits and clone beers you like or try some popular recipes on HBT.

I've just started SMaSH brewing... but I've been brewing for 5 years, developing my own recipes for 4. I've moved from infusion mash to temperature mashing, and I've done 1, 2, 2.5, 3.5 and 5 gallon size brews. And I love small batch BIAB as it give me a chance to experiement. As DromJohn said, there is no wrong pathway to learning brewing techniques. Just brew. Let your curiosity and creativity be your guide, and enjoy what you're doing.

Back