learned a new technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheephrdr

Reaction score
I learned a new primary technique for me anyways. I was at my lhbs and i noticed that they had there airlocks on the edge of the bucket lid rather than the centre, they told me they ferment with the buckets on a bit of an angle to create more headspace for karuasen (sp) not by volume but by distance. I tried it with my latest brew and it was the first non blow off tube ferment which didnt come out the airlock.

It also is handy to not have the airlock get in the way of the handle if you need to move the bucket as I do putting it in a Son of Fermentation Chiller.

So the airlock would be on the edge of the lid on the high end of the tilt? Seems logical, may have to try that. Would keep the trub on the downhill side and make siphoning a little clearer. Good info.

Of course, two things to consider here. First, make sure the angle isn't so extreme as to cause a potential leak of wort out of the lid seal. Second, make sure you airlock can still mechanically function and not spill the water into the tube. I haven't used my bucket primary in a while since I got a larger better bottle, but if I do, I'm going for the tilt.

Good idea. One of my lids is punched offset. I'll have to try it on the next big thing.

Just tilting the bucket to shift the trub pattern is cool.

Back