Leaky Ventamatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max4677

Reaction score
I bought a couple of Ventmatics several months ago and just this past week I finally got to keg a beer and use one.

The one I hooked up dripped long after the pour and I think I finally fixed that by tightening the nut on the top of the faucet. I left the CO2 tank open at about 10 pounds for a couple of days only to go out there yesterday to find an overflowing drip tray. I drained that out, sprayed it with some Lysol and shut off the gas.

I was under the impression that I could just leave the tank on so that it would repressurize the keg after each pour. I know most of the guys in the brew club say they turn off the CO2 after doing the high pressure force and shake method and only turn it back on once the flow from the faucet is slow for a quick shot.

This keg I did the high pressure force and shake, but I think the next beer will be the slower set it at the right PSI and let it sit for a few days method mentioned at BYO - Mr. Wizard. I just don't want this to be a recurring problem if I forget to turn off the gas a couple of days later.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain these faucets? I'd like to get a better understanding of these thigns before I "break the seal" on the other virgin faucet. If it matters, they currently have no tap handles on them.

Sorry in advance if the post is a little incomprehensible, long night coupled with slow coffee. :)

max4677 said:
I was under the impression that I could just leave the tank on so that it would repressurize the keg after each pour. I know most of the guys in the brew club say they turn off the CO2 after doing the high pressure force and shake method and only turn it back on once the flow from the faucet is slow for a quick shot.
Sounds like some good old fashioned bad advice to me. Your kegs should be constantly pressurized, as you say - it maintains a constant carbonation. If the keg pressure is constantly fluctuating your carbonation level will not be consistent. Your system should not leak (gas or beer) at all under normal storage/serving pressure (usually 10-12 PSI).

I don't have any experience with those faucets but if they are leaking beer at serving pressure then there's definitely something wrong with them. I would take them apart and give them a good clean and maybe throw in some keg lube, and if the leak persists, see about getting replacements.

You shouldn't have any leaks. There should only be a few drops after you shut it off. I'd take it apart, clean it, and probably replace the seal.

And you can leave the CO2 tank on at serving pressure all the time. I bet that's what almost everyone here does.

I figured it would be ok to do that since every bar in the world likely does. :) I think they do it so that in case you do have a leak, you don't lose all your gas.

I'll turn it back on tonight when I get home and observe it. I think it will get some use since I'll be plopping in front of the TV for a little Flyers action tonight.:rockin:

I've noticed on my ventamatics that sometimes I think a beer bubble will form in the spout. After closing the tap, a few seconds later, the bubble breaks and a small amount of beer will trickle out but then it stops. I just need to hold my beer there a little longer. Other than that, tightening the nut on top of the faucet should do the trick. If not, I'd take it apart and reassemble it in case something got out of alignment.

and yes, all gas, all the time.

Time to resurrect the old thread...

I tore down the leaky faucet, checked the seals, cleaned it, and put it back together. I put a little water in the back and held it vertically to see if it would leak and it didn't.

However, I hooked it up to a keg of Hazlenut Nectar clone and it has leaked three times... The other one has given me zero problems.

I just sent an email to Northern Brewer for some advice. I bought them back in August, so i doubt I'll get an exchange.

Shrug.

As you can see my brew schedule is rather sporadic. :)

Right, for the price of those faucets, they should have a lifetime warranty on issues like this. I'd take a really close look at the rubber seal and the seat into which it..uh...seats. If the seal is perfect, I'd bet there's a little nick in the seat.

YEA! I got an email back from Northern Brewer. All I have to do is buy a new one and then they will take the old one back. Once they get the old one back, they'll charge back my card. :)

Thankfully I am able to use my picnic faucet as a stop gap. :)

Back