Leaky rubber gasket -- how do I fix it, or should I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilOssiferzStone

Reaction score
Started a batch of Belgian Saison a few days ago. After several days of battling the NorCal heat with wet towels, ice water, etc. I gave up and brought it inside. As I did so, some water splashed on the lid. After I put the bucket down, I kept an eye on it. Sure enough, there is a ring of bubbles rising around the rubber gasket that holds the water lock in place.

Is this hazardous for my brew? Seems the mild pressure on the inside of my bucket would keep any intrusive germies out -- but what about later? Dare I get a new gasket, remove the lid, install it, resanitize everything, and put the lid back on? Should I run some epoxy or Krazy Glue around the outside of the gasket to seal it in place? Is there a food-safe sealant I can use instead? Am I making much ado over nothing...?

Started a batch of Belgian Saison a few days ago. After several days of battling the NorCal heat with wet towels, ice water, etc. I gave up and brought it inside. As I did so, some water splashed on the lid. After I put the bucket down, I kept an eye on it. Sure enough, there is a ring of bubbles rising around the rubber gasket that holds the water lock in place.

Is this hazardous for my brew? Seems the mild pressure on the inside of my bucket would keep any intrusive germies out -- but what about later? Dare I get a new gasket, remove the lid, install it, resanitize everything, and put the lid back on? Should I run some epoxy or Krazy Glue around the outside of the gasket to seal it in place? Is there a food-safe sealant I can use instead? Am I making much ado over nothing...?

Some of the CO2 will escape from there rather than the airlock, no big deal. None of the buckets are airtight anyhow. If you get nervous after you stop seeing bubbles, spray a little Starsan around the grommet. I wouldn't even consider an epoxy or sealant. Just remember to use the hydrometer to test when fermentation is complete.:ban:

Or just work the airlock further down into the grommet. You may not have it in far enough to expand the grommet enough to seal the hole.

Back