Leaky Liquid Keg Post = Ruined Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njnear76

Reaction score
I naturally carb up my kegs and I had keg sitting in the basement, which I planned on putting in the kegerator around March.

I came home from a week long vacation to find that beer was leaking out the liquid post. Apparently I did not tighten the post enough.

There was only a little CO2 left in the keg, so I bled it and cleaned out the post, poppet, and rubber part where the beer spilled. I recarbed it and set it aside.

I figure I'm safe as far as oxidation goes, because no air is entering the keg, but I figure mold might be an issue.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

If you still had some CO2 left in the keg, oxidation should not be an issue. The CO2 would blanket what was inside and not allow the O2 to come into contact with the beer even with removing the post and poppet. Also, mold needs O2 in order to grow, so with the info that you supplied, I would doubt seriously that you need be concerned as long as you purged it again after resealing the cleaned post assembly.

Update: I just put this keg on the gas. It tastes good so it looks like I'm in the clear.

Thanks Nuggethead for the advice.

Since beer was being forced OUT, you probably won't have issues with spores or bacteria getting INTO the keg.

Since the beer tastes good, you are probably fine (other than the mess, of course).

Latest posts

Back