Leaky Keg :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKEbrew

Reaction score
Bought a used keg from Northern Brewer a few months ago. Finally got around to kegging for the first time, and the keg leaks -- from the bottom!

I've reduced the psi from 12 to 10, cleaned up the mess & am trying again.

Everything I've read all talks about leaking from the top, but I haven't seen anyone mention the bottom.

Has anyone seen this? I'm a noob, but pretty sure this means the keg will be replaced... can anyone tell me otherwise?

I have not heard of this happening before. Have you given NB a call about this? If so, what did they say? I am curious to know because I have had good customer service from them in the past but have only bought one keg from their store. It leaked at the gas in post so I replaced all of the rings.

Can you find where the keg is leaking from at the bottom? Are you able to remove the rubber boot from the bottom?

I wouldn't go through the trouble of removing the rubber to find a leak on a store-bought keg, as (1) that's not your job, and (2) that'd just give the seller a reason to tell you to pound sand.

Contact the seller, tell them you've identified a leak at the bottom of the keg, and ask them how they're going to make things right...

Cheers!

Yeah, i've had it happen...but I caused it using bleach repeatedly to clean and sanitize some old kegs. I wasn't aware that was a no-no. Perhaps that's what you got....my old keg:D

I've only had good experiences with NB in Milwaukee so maybe it won't end up being a big deal. They were closed by the time I realized it was leaking, of course. Doubt I have the receipt though.. lol

I can see exactly where its leaking from. In fact, in the course of troubleshooting I got a little rough with it and sprayed myself right in the face. It's not bubbling right now or anything, & I keep checking for puddles.

I Kegged it last night and put it in the fridge, but didn't connect the gas until tonight. I thought I smelled beer when I attached the gas line, but didn't notice any puddling & therefore didn't find a source.

I can't find anything online about removing the boot, and didn't want to try while there is still beer in it. It would be sweet if the bottom just needed to be tightened or something.

Was kinda hoping this would be a common first timer problem with a simple solution.

That's the second time today I've heard the term "pound sand." That's hilarious.

I used pbw & hot water to clean it.

I've only had good experiences with NB in Milwaukee so maybe it won't end up being a big deal. They were closed by the time I realized it was leaking, of course. Doubt I have the receipt though.. lol

I can see exactly where its leaking from. In fact, in the course of troubleshooting I got a little rough with it and sprayed myself right in the face. It's not bubbling right now or anything, & I keep checking for puddles.

I Kegged it last night and put it in the fridge, but didn't connect the gas until tonight. I thought I smelled beer when I attached the gas line, but didn't notice any puddling & therefore didn't find a source.

I can't find anything online about removing the boot, and didn't want to try while there is still beer in it. It would be sweet if the bottom just needed to be tightened or something.

Was kinda hoping this would be a common first timer problem with a simple solution.

There's nothing to tighten down there. The keg obviously has a hole in it. I would call the vendor as quickly as possible and return it. Rack to another keg if you have one.

BBL_Brewer said:
There's nothing to tighten down there. The keg obviously has a hole in it. I would call the vendor as quickly as possible and return it. Rack to another keg if you have one.

First time ever kegging & this was a used keg. Plan to call NB when they open. If its still leaking, ill be racking to a carboy.

If its still leaking, ill be racking to a carboy.

It will still be leaking. Your keg has a hole in it. Holes in steel don't just heal themselves.

Might as well rack to a carboy right now and save the beer.

Then call NB tomorrow and have them make it right.

subliminalurge said:
It will still be leaking. Your keg has a hole in it. Holes in steel don't just heal themselves.

Might as well rack to a carboy right now and save the beer.

Then call NB tomorrow and have them make it right.

Just called NB & with no questions asked, they are replacing.

Just to update this thread; finally got to NB today and was able to exchange the keg. Racked the brew & am back to carbonating.

Back