Leaky Corny - Not what you think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I noticed that I had a leak in this corny when I was cleaning it today.
Here you can see some star san coming out when the keg is under pressure.
2273038992_58409e2f4e.jpg

Here it is cleaned up. The leak is the black speck?
2273039154_d53f0c7c9d.jpg

I couldn't see anything in the inside.

What can be done to fix this?

olllllo said:
Will JBWeld hold pressure?

I think JB would work short term but Not long term I used it for a brake line once and it lasted about 3 weeks, A keg has way more pressure on it than a brake line so I think a weld would be the best option.

RICLARK said:
A keg has way more pressure on it than a brake line so I think a weld would be the best option.
I beg to differ. Brake line pressure is on the order of several hundred to even several THOUSAND psi. Kegs typically experience no more than 30 psi.

JB Weld might work. Sand the keg clean in that spot, and apply it per the directions. If it doesn't work, it's easy to sand off in preparation for a weld.

Yuri_Rage said:
I beg to differ. Brake line pressure is on the order of several hundred to even several THOUSAND psi. Kegs typically experience no more than 30 psi.

JB Weld might work. Sand the keg clean in that spot, and apply it per the directions. If it doesn't work, it's easy to sand off in preparation for a weld.

You Maybe Right about the Brake PSI but Im on the other side, but can we agree that JB weld should only be used on a keg for a short term fix?

Your brake like was probably pitted everywhere and you just slapped a bandaid on that one spot that let go. Not only that, maybe you didn't get the fluid off the spot completely and the JB couldn't grab on. This stuff is incredibly strong and I don't think it will be a problem at all. A small dab on the inside and outside would create something like a JB rivet.

Bobby_M said:
Your brake like was probably pitted everywhere and you just slapped a bandaid on that one spot that let go. Not only that, maybe you didn't get the fluid off the spot completely and the JB couldn't grab on. This stuff is incredibly strong and I don't think it will be a problem at all. A small dab on the inside and outside would create something like a JB rivet.

And to add for consideration, while it is not NSF or FDA approved, it is non-toxic once cured.:rockin:

You could do a mechanical fix. Gasket material with a LARGE hose clamp to hold it in place. Not pretty but effective. Not sure if they make hose clamps this big either.

I went with the JB stick.

Seemed easier to use and 1/4 the price.

After 1 hour of curing, I believe it's going to work. It's holding 10psi.
I jack it up to 50 or 60 tomorrow.

olllllo said:
I went with the JB stick.

Seemed easier to use and 1/4 the price.

After 1 hour of curing, I believe it's going to work. It's holding 10psi.
I jack it up to 50 or 60 tomorrow.

Cool, Im glad it is working, and Im also Glad I was wrong this time.:D

Apologies for digging up an old thread. I've got a leaky corny too, and this thread was helpful.

Attached is the first hole I found. I cut a square out of the rubber and patched it with JB Weld yesterday. I let it cure a few hours, then half filled it with StarSan and 12 psi. Came home for lunch today to a puddle - there was another hole in the bottom!

I've only yet patched the outside of the second hole. I guess I should put a blob over the inside so it doesn't become a bacterial hideout -- the second hole is almost invisible from the inside.

It seems strange that there would be holes in the... the.. what's the opposite of a seam?

IMG_5486.jpg

Makes me worry about my keg with starsan in it; some say it pits, others say they've had solution in there for a year with no problems. Glad you were able to restore functionality!

I have bought corny kegs that had a leak before from my LHBS and they were surprised but replaced it no cost to me. They usually get a leak from the acidity of citric drink concentrate that was served in those kegs. My leak was on the bottom and so it was weldable but there were most likely other pits that were not quite through the metal yet. They are very easy to weld if you use TIG and inert Argon gas inside the keg. I am looking up JB weld properties now.

I can't tell you how happy I am to see this thread... I have a corny that I polished, via BobbyM's method, and after all that work, I found a small batch o' bubbles coming from under the black rubber on the top... Now off to H.D. for some J.B. Weld...

Any hints on removing the black rubber top?

T.I.A.

:mug:

Ok anyone using JB Weld...... I do not think this stuff is safe as it does have chemicals that can and most likely does get into the beer. I have sent a message to them about being food safe when used to fill a hole in a beer keg that will be used to contain beer with carbonation. The MSDS says that there is a reactivity to carbon dioxide.
I will update this message as soon as I get a reply.

MSDS: J-B Weld Company - Technical Information (MSDS) for J-B WELD Products

Is JB Weld food safe?

The "Water Weld" product is drinking water safe. I'm not real worried about a quarter inch blob of original JB, but then, I smoke tobacco and also sometimes drink beer.... :eek:

Edit: Holy crap! I found a third hole, right under the diptube.

Hasn't killed me yet.

Thats good. i think i may go for it.

I used JB Weld to patch a nuclear reactor core a few years ago and it is holding fine....all kidding aside...I like Sankes

I got a 5 gal sanke at the scrapyard and it has a hole.. I may try to take it back and exchange it for one of the other ones though.. hopefully they will let me

It actually killed me, however death has not changed my life one bit... Except for the dying part.

I still have the keg. All have been In use. I'd actually have to find it, but that should tell you how little I regard the fix as being a problem.

It actually killed me, however death has not changed my life one bit... Except for the dying part.

I still have the keg. All have been In use. I'd actually have to find it, but that should tell you how little I regard the fix as being a problem.

Sounds good.. I just hope i can seal it good enough that no little goobies can live in there.

Back