Leaky 10 Gallon Igloo mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboys703

Reaction score
Need some help. I started off following this guide
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/[1]
Before I realized that there was a difference between the 10 gallon Rubbermaid and the Igloo that I ended up with.

So I went back to the store and ended up going from 3/8" to 1/2" since it was way too loose around the hole.

The only other deviation I made was using a Bazooka screen instead of the hose design they used. This is why I have the weird looking female-female thread connector on there.

The whole setup down there is pretty loose. I can turn my ball valve in a complete circle with no issues and still has some up and down wiggle room. Do I need to go up another size on the fittings?

7rqEycZ.jpg

KAI3uOk.jpg

KmY5Goe.jpg

5mG3N1T.jpg

It looks like the fender washers are trying to grab plastic, which isn't going to work very well. You might think about cutting some big wide gaskets out of silicone rubber sheet so there will be something compliant/grabby under those big washers, it might tighten things up...

Cheers!

You don't have an o-ring on the inside of the washer of the interior. Of course your going to leak :D

You need one of these. Check your LHBS for one and put that between the washer and the cooler wall. You'll still have wiggle on the whole setup, but that's because the o-ring is a little fatter than your normal one.

Back