Leaking Stir Bar!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippsy-Turvy

Reaction score
My stir bar seems to be leaking some black "ink" from both ends. It happened whilst the bar was in my star san solution. I had chilled the solution with ice packs and was ready to dunk my hot starter wort in.

I'm guessing it's the magnet inside dissolving in the star san solution. I don't have another and I can't get a replacement quick enough for my brew schedule. Any harm continuing to use it in my starter? It's just iron, no?

Here are more details. I scooped up the stir bar from my star san bucket when I noticed it had dark marks at either end. The marks looked like black ink and wiped off easily enough so I thought the star san had dissolved the ink off something soaking in it and somehow rubbed against the stir bar. I placed the cleaned bar back into the solution but at a clear corner of the bucket where it wouldn't rub against anything. When i fetched it again subsequently, the marks were back on and with a firm squeeze i could see more of the dark liquid slowly seeping thro the plastic cover.

The stir bar was bought form these guys:
http://digitalhomebrew.com/diy-magne...irplate-kit-v2

Leaking stir bar 2.jpg

I have my doubts there is anyway to get that bar fully sterile at this point. I personally would not use it and would just make the starter and agitate it by hand whenever you walk by. Hit it with some o2 prior to pitching if you have a aeration setup.

I'm in agreement with the above poster. It may be harmless, but I wouldn't want it in my starter. Just make a starter without the stir plate and you'll be good.

Back