Leaking MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p00j2620

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I finally got my MLT cooler converted. I filled it up with water and there is a very slight leak. Pretty minor at the moment, but I wouldn't want it to get worse when I am in the middle of a mash. I just reassembled it and tefloned the hell out of the threads to see if that helps. Did you guys have this issue? If so, what did you use to fix it? I thought about silicone, but don't we need to tear this completely down after use to clean? (I'm a newb to AG)

I just had this issue with my new mlt right before its inaugural mash. To fix I just added an extra washer to the outside and an o ring between the inside washer and original rubber seal. Not a single drop lost throughout an hour mash.

... but don't we need to tear this completely down after use to clean? (I'm a newb to AG)

I would say breaking down an MLT for cleaning is not required IMO. Concentrate your cleaning and sanitizing on everthing that touches the cooled wort.

Perhaps pos a few pics of what you are trying to do and someone will help you.

I just had this issue with my new mlt right before its inaugural mash. To fix I just added an extra washer to the outside and an o ring between the inside washer and original rubber seal. Not a single drop lost throughout an hour mash.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I did what BrewScout did before I left for my father's day lunch at a brazillian steak house, which was freaking delicious, and when I came back and checked the MLT, not a drop had been spilled! Thanks for the suggestion.

p00j2620 said:
Thanks for the responses guys.

I did what BrewScout did before I left for my father's day lunch at a brazillian steak house, which was freaking delicious, and when I came back and checked the MLT, not a drop had been spilled! Thanks for the suggestion.

No problem! And don't worry about taking it apart to clean it. Just put some hot soapy water in it, scrub with a soft sponge or wash cloth then just open the valve and let hot soapy water flow through. Rinse with hot water, let drip dry, and store it away till next use. Let us know how you're first use goes.

Back