Leaking Keg :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markusface

Reaction score
I'm using a King Keg to prime my 2nd batch, used the standard 3/4 cup of corn sugar for priming. Lubricated the top seal, screwed it shut and stuck it in my conservatory.

All was going so well until I woke one morning to about 2 pints worth of beer over the floor... the culprit...

THE DAMN SPIGOT! grrrr

I've been burping it occasionally so no more beers gets wasted, but there's no way the beer is going to carbonate at this rate.

Is there anything I can do to make the seal around the spigot airtight? As a quick fix - I don't really want to bottle it at this moment because of my distinct lack of bottles.

Muchly appreciated :)

Does the spigot screw in to the "keg"? If so, a little bit of teflon tape on the threads might help. Not sure how you'd go about that with the beer already in the keg, but, well... that's for you to figure out.

Not entirely sure, I really should have took it apart and check it all, but hmmm I don't think I would have predicted that it would leak.

duct%20tape.jpg

Hey, it's worth a shot. :D

Rrrrright I've patched it up around the spigot... I'll have to check again in the morning to see if it has worked... *prays*

Was just wondering if there was any other way, but it seems like tapes gonna have to do! heh.

Something else that comes to mind would be a bead of silicone around the spigot, but you've got to do that when it's dry. Not an in-process fix.

My friend, I think you need to get started drinking some beers - you said yourself, you need bottles!

send me the "FULL" keg and I will fix it and send it back... I garentee it wont leak anything when you get it back....LOL
JJ
P.S
Want an address ha ha ha

I've had this happen on one of the Hambleton Bard kegs before I went Corny :)

As a last resort I had to sanitise my arm and get in there to tighten the tap from inside. This of course has it's risks as the tap can leak because it's been overtightened and kinked the seal. Also, once it was beer-tight again I was concerned with sanitation and risk of infection so I had to guzzle the beer quick smart:tank:

/Phil.

Back