Leak I cant track down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver02ws6

Reaction score
Had two kegs in the keezer for over a month with no issue. Put in a a Triple IPA and a few days later notice that the C02 tank is empty.

Switch the C02 tank and decide to spray everything down with soapy water to hunt down the leak. Cant find anything. The kegs hold pressure but if i leave the valves open and close the tank off the tank pressure gauge bottoms out within a few minutes.

This would make me assume the leak is between tank and regulators and not on one of the kegs?

Info on the system :

5lb C02 tank into two regulators. One regulator leads into a 4 way distribution block the other I use to up the pressure on a new keg.

[...]The kegs hold pressure but if i leave the valves open and close the tank off the tank pressure gauge bottoms out within a few minutes.

This would make me assume the leak is between tank and regulators and not on one of the kegs?
[...]

I'd think just the opposite: the leak is downstream of the regulators. Which would make sense, if the history you provided is accurate: the problem started when you swapped a keg.

Try rocking the gas QD on the suspect keg with the CO2 turned up and your ear near the QD. I'm betting the O-ring on the gas post ain't great - either nicked or cracked, or the wrong diameter.

Bad gas post O-rings can be hard to diagnose with a spray bottle because the leak will be up inside the QD, but a little wiggling might bring on the leak loud enough to pick up...

Cheers!

Fill the bath tub; dunk everything except what's not waterproof (regulator) under water, then look for the bubbles

Or a quick check of the gas QD's could be done with a large glass half full of water, stick the whole QD in there to check for bubbles. You could also do the same with a large bowl and the 4 way distributor. Just make sure you have the gas on first to keep any water out if there is a leak :)

- Smarch

Back