Leaf Hops - Hot To Keep It Clean For Next Tiime

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andvari7

Reaction score
Good morning,

Yesterday, I brewed a partial mash red ale - a modified Brewer's Best kit, with rye and Pilsner extracts, in place of the standard Briess light - and instead of using the pellet hops that are packaged with the kits, I used leaf. During the boil, I had quite a bit of foam-up, and at least three spill-overs. While most of the hops made in through the boil, I don't particularly want to go through this again. And cleanup isn't all wine coolers and roses, either.

What do you, the more experienced homebrewers of this forum, recommend I do, so that my next use of leaf hops is a smooth one?

Thank you.

Get or make a hop spider. Adjust your heating source to lessen the chance of a boil over. A spray bottle with cold water will knock down foaming too.

Three easy fixes. :mug:

Did you start the boil with the hops in or add them later? I always to a 90 min. boil with all-grain, but this makes me add the hops 30 min into the boil. So there is never any association of hops & boilover. If you are seeing this try getting the hot break out of the way then add your hops.

I also put my leaf hops in a paint strainer bag. This keeps a lot of the "stuff" out of the wort. Helps with draining and easy to put the spent hops in a Wal-Mart bag to throw away.

Be ready with a spray bottle of water at the start of the boil to knock down the foam, and don't add the hops until the hot break forms and subsides.
Adding Fermcap can help prevent boilovers as well.

Back