leaf hop queation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
I tend to always use pellet hops. I am getting a strawberry beer together right now. I would like to use leaf hops. Is there anything different about using them? I just use them the same way as I would pellet hops? Is there any taste difference in leaf hops over pellet hops? I do think they look pretty cool when you dry hop with them. Just looking for some feed back.

Shouldn't be any character differences between leaf and pellet per se, though pellets are about 10% more effective due to the fragmentation providing greater exposure to the wort (in the boil) and beer (post-fermentation). In the boil that's about the only difference.

Post boil, whole hops will soak up more beer, and are easier to use with buckets than carboys. Pellets can swim free and then be easily crashed-cooled to the bottom of any dry-hopping vessel and clear beer racked off to bottle or keg. In fairness that might be possible with whole hops - I've never tried it because the pellets are so easy to use when dry hopping pre-packaged beer.

If you keg, I've found dry hopping in a serving keg easiest with whole cones in muslin bags. If you do that with pellets you need to use something like a paint strainer bag for the much finer mesh, lest you pull pellet bits with every pint...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
Shouldn't be any character differences between leaf and pellet per se, though pellets are about 10% more effective due to the fragmentation providing greater exposure to the wort (in the boil) and beer (post-fermentation). In the boil that's about the only difference.

Post boil, whole hops will soak up more beer, and are easier to use with buckets than carboys. Pellets can swim free and then be easily crashed-cooled to the bottom of any dry-hopping vessel and clear beer racked off to bottle or keg. In fairness that might be possible with whole hops - I've never tried it because the pellets are so easy to use when dry hopping pre-packaged beer.

If you keg, I've found dry hopping in a serving keg easiest with whole cones in muslin bags. If you do that with pellets you need to use something like a paint strainer bag for the much finer mesh, lest you pull pellet bits with every pint...

Cheers!

You answered all the questions I wanted to ask. Thank you. I think ill try leaf hops once just to say I have used them.

Back