LDPE water jugs for primary/secondary/bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I have two 5 gallon, milky-white plastic water jugs that I used to use to hold deionized water for my darkroom. An example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.houseofcans.com/images/products/15532.jpg

I don't use them anymore, and I was wondering if I could repurpose them as primary fermenters, secondary fermenters, or bottling buckets. Since they are suitable for holding drinking water, I assume they are food-safe, so they should make usable bottling buckets at the very least, right?

I don't know why you wouldn't use it for secondary, but definitely not for bulk aging. Too oxygen permeable. For a few weeks it will be fine. Other than that, it's good. The only thing is that you couldn't fit a 5 gallon batch in there for primary. Not enough head space.

No chill brewing is pouring the boiled wort into a container like that with no head space. Seal it up and let it cool for a day or two until it's at pitching temp.

Latest posts

Back