Lazy yeast pitch=floaties?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satyrbassist

Reaction score
First time I got lazy in a couple steps and now I'm worried. My lhbs as a partial mash kit I love. It's a chocolate coffee stout. Og was right on target. 1.072. I forgot to do a starter and didn't have time to wait as my brew window was closing fast so I just bought an extra vial of yeast and pitched both into the primary. Bubbled away nicely. 2 weeks I racked to secondary on the coffee and now I am noticing little white floaties that I have never had before. Is this something to worry about?

They're known as yeast rafts - and they're normal. Let the beer sit for another week or two.

So I have waited an extra two weeks and these guys are still floating on top. Would really like to get this batch bottled so I can free up the carboy but I'm worried about floaties in my beer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

So I have waited an extra two weeks and these guys are still floating on top. Would really like to get this batch bottled so I can free up the carboy but I'm worried about floaties in my beer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Pictures?

If it tastes okay chances are good that it will be fine. You can just siphon from below the surface and not transfer over the floaties.

image-2569880837.jpg

Attachments

• image-3553339089.jpg
    image-3553339089.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 119
Starting to worry its an infection. When I moved them into the light (gently) I went to grab my phone to snap a few pics and by the time I did they were all gone. Then this morning they were all back. As seen in the pics

I had something similar show in a batch of stout earlier this year. It tasted fine and I bottled it, being sure not to siphon up any floaties. They did not reappear in the bottles.

Latest posts

Back