Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale - Asking for Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody ever had this beer? If so, please comment. This $8 8-pack keeps teasing me at the beer-store. :D

Yesterday - Ignored it and bought me a 6r of NB Sunshine Wheat.

lazy-mutt-farmhouse-ale-20293.jpg

laxymutt.com :: Mans Best Friend

Can you buy singles? I wouldn't dismiss the poor ratebeer rating, but I wouldn't take that as gospel either.

I agree it's mostly uber snobs, but nonetheless I'd be wary. Seems anything that needs a gimmick, their si8 pack, shouts (to me) the beer isn't great but look we're selling you 8 instead of 6....

I picked up a pack when I was back in Wisconsin on business, they don't distribute here on the West coast so I gave it a shot. If you go into it expecting a farmhouse ale of any sort you will be sorely disappointed. I think they're using the term as a marketing ploy, perhaps the brewery is built in an old farmhouse. The beer has absolutely no farmhouse ale characteristics at all. It's a clean, almost lager like flavor with a mildly unpleasant sweetness at the end that is almost reminiscent of a toned down Leinenkugel's.

I've had much worse, but if I were to choose from the Wisconsin beers that I can't get here again, I would go with the New Glarus black wheat or Wisconsin belgian red as both of those were top notch.

I'll say it is similar to Spotted Cow, but nowhere near as good. I would take most BMCs over it.

Minihas also makes Mountain Creek, which sells for $7.99 a flat... So take that in to consideration.

Grinders thread about HIS experience is a good read....SOmeone posted the weiredst and worst youtube review on the beer.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctSoWYIyfas]YouTube - MTK Beer Review: Lazy Mutt[/ame]

"...It tastes red, does red have a flavor?"

This is enough to make you wanna stay away. :D

Thanks Revvy! How you hangin' ? Prolly feeling a bit sluggish???

I had to take an aspirin this morning. I drank just enough to feel hung over, not so much that I was at risk driving. I hate that, when you don't drink much but feel like crap the next day. :mad:

Must drink water.....

Thanks Revvy! How you hangin' ? Prolly feeling a bit sluggish???

I had to take an aspirin this morning. I drank just enough to feel hung over, not so much that I was at risk driving. I hate that, when you don't drink much but feel like crap the next day. :mad:

Must drink water.....

Nah, I was a good boy. I didn't even do much. I met one of my buddies at this picobrewery in the back of a coffee shop for a couple beers and a burger, then went home and had a couple more beers. nothing exciting and needing a hangover cure for. *pout*

It reminded me a of the Huber/Rhinelander/Meister Brau/Etc. that Huber made years ago in the returnable longnck bottles my dad would buy for $4.99 a case. The aftertaste isn't as strong as those beers were, but it is unforgettable. And the clearness of it certainly indicates more of a lager than an ale.
Having been to Minah's and New Glarus on the same day, I can certainly say this and Spotted Cow are nowhere near in the same league. I will be saving this beer for my brother and father to sample to see if they have the same feelings

Back