Layer of hops on fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike004

Reaction score
My first attempt at mini-mash has been in primary fermentation for 48 hrs.
Its not doing much. And if it was, I couldn't tell because there is a solid layer of hops on top of the brew ( I just poured all the contents of the boil pot into the bin).
Peeking at the top of the brew, or looking through the plastic bin side, all I see is a layer of hops on top of the brew.

Will the layer of hops hinder fermentation?
I am using Nottingham ale yeast. I produced a starter which seemed to get going OK.

Mike

Thanks, Orfy.
Its a little off-putting as I can't see the krausen/foam like I do normally. Its hard to tell how healthy the fermentation is...

Mike

That's why i'm considering putting my primaries under air lock. It's nice to see those reasurring bubble.

Is there any reason why primaries shouldn't be put under air lock?

i airlock both my primary and secondary. I have two plastic (yeah I know I know) fermenters with bottling taps, so they can double as primaries or secondaries.

I airlock all mine first with a blow off tube for the frist 3 days and then a bubble type airlock. (I don't like the 3 piece type)

It's not necessary, but it does give you visual that your yeast is working even after the krausen has fallen and it lessens the risk of contamination.

I once firmented a batch in the same pot I boiled it in. I just kept the lid on while it ran it's course. It nearly drove me nuts not knowing how it was progressing. I waited a week then lifted the lid and took the SG the yeast had done its job with out my help. Sneaky buggers. ;) It turned out fine.

ScottT said:
I once firmented a batch in the same pot I boiled it in. I just kept the lid on while it ran it's course. It nearly drove me nuts not knowing how it was progressing. I waited a week then lifted the lid and took the SG the yeast had done its job with out my help. Sneaky buggers. ;) It turned out fine.
That would sure save on cleaning/sanitation. How come you haven't tried it again?

For the reasons mentioned. I can't see what's going on and I can see that it's working.

I did it because is was a small 2 gallon batch and I had a stainless pot that size. I did the grain soak and added the other ingredients. I scooped out the whole hops while still hot and let it cool while sitting in an ice bath with the lid on in the sink. I figured that the whole inside of the pot was sterile, no need to transfer to a 5 gallon carboy. I lifted the lid and pitched the yeast and just let her go.

Back