Double IPA Lawson’s Double Sunshine IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrGMG

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale)
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
100+
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 68 degrees
Tasting Notes
Dank, pine notes, a lot of citrus.
MALT/GRAIN BILL
8.5 lb (3.85 kg) 2-row pale ale malt
12 oz (340 g) Carapilsen malt
2.5 lb (1.1 kg) Vienna-style malt
1 lb (454 g) flaked oats
6 oz (170 g) Caramunich-type malt

HOPS & ADDITIONS SCHEDULE
0.75 oz (21 g) Columbus [14% AAU] at 60 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at 20 minutes
1 lb (454 g) corn sugar at 10 minutes
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at 5 minutes
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at knockout
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at dry hop

Single infusion mash: Achieve a target mash of 152°F (67°C). Hold for 45 minutes, then raise to mash-out temperature and begin lauter phase.
Collect enough wort to boil 6.5 gallons (24.6 liters) and boil for 60 minutes, following the hops and additions schedule. After the boil is complete, begin a whirlpool in the kettle and let the knockout hops rest in the hot wort for at least 30 minutes before chilling.

Chill the wort rapidly to 68°F (20°C). Ferment at 68°F (20°C) for one week. Add the dry hops and let the beer sit for an additional four to seven days at 55–57°F (13°C).

why the sugar at 10 mins? Just for more ABV and body?

Otherwise id say it looks good and citrusy..

Dextrose while not only up the abv but will dry out the beer meaning it'll push the fg lower than if it wasn't used since it's completely fermentable. If you use a highly attenuating yeast you won't need dextrose but if you use something like and English yeast ie 1318 or 1968 that tend to attenuate less it'll help drive down the fg so your IPA isn't to sweet but you'll still get yeast character. But in this case it may be just to drive up the abv since 1056 attenuates pretty darn well. So here maybe without it mashing at 152 the fg would be 1.012 it'll drive the fg into the 1.010 range. Just preference I guess.

Good advice. Here is my result.

FB_IMG_1466505335752.jpg

Gracias for posting this recipe. I have a bunch of citra and columbus I need to use up and this recipe looks perfect for that purpose.

Thanks for posting....this recipe was provided by Lawson's in a publication some time ago. I hacked it down to a two gallon version and was thrilled with the results. Have done variations on it since, love this formula

Just brewed this up today. Ended up with 11 gallons of 1.074 wort. A bit thick due to all the hops in there. Cant wait to taste the final product and see how it compares to the real thing.

Just brewed this up today. Ended up with 11 gallons of 1.074 wort. A bit thick due to all the hops in there. Cant wait to taste the final product and see how it compares to the real thing.

You'll love it man. It is the best IPA I've had yet. But I have not tried the original one though.

Just made this yesterday,only difference is I pushed back the last 2 citra additions to 5 minutes and 190 degrees,and I'm going to add a few more oz's in dry hopp,it's fermenting with Vermont ale from the yeast bay and it smells awesome so far,fingers crossed.

You'll love it man. It is the best IPA I've had yet. But I have not tried the original one though.

Back in May I was fortunate enough to sample the original alongside my attempt, along with a couple other people tasting. The two beers had strong similarities; it was as if one was cleanly made by a professional (theirs) and the other was rougher and amateurish (mine) however all involved agreed that both were excellent and the relationship was quite clear. The flavors were really the same, it was mostly the texture and such. The original was a lot more focused than mine; not sure if that makes sense but don't know how else to explain it.

Back in May I was fortunate enough to sample the original alongside my attempt, along with a couple other people tasting. The two beers had strong similarities; it was as if one was cleanly made by a professional (theirs) and the other was rougher and amateurish (mine) however all involved agreed that both were excellent and the relationship was quite clear. The flavors were really the same, it was mostly the texture and such. The original was a lot more focused than mine; not sure if that makes sense but don't know how else to explain it.

That is 100000% what my friend and I find in our attempts at these styles versus professionals that can so finely tune every process. they are always a touch more dialed in and controlled. However the end result, if not sure by side, many have said either would blow off the shelf in a bar.

I'll be making this again with a different yeast. Will post results. Anyone else made this?
I actually just brewed up a 3 gal batch of this Friday. Sweet Citra aroma blurping out the airlock, can't wait to try it. Plan to DH with 2 oz Citra. :rockin:

I've done this now with a few different yeasts, including self-harvested stuff, S-05, Nottingham, and stuff in my fridge I don't even know what it is.

The recipe from Mr. Lawson sez "Caramunich-type" and "Vienna-style" which in my mind provides a lot of leeway, and I've experimented accordingly.

Similarly, when I'm out of Columbus I've used Centennial, Nugget, whatever for the boil. On occasions when I find myself out of Citra, I've used Mosaic for dry hopping. Another time I used Equinox somewhere along the line.

So far I've been unable to screw it up -- I've certainly tried. One time forgot I had a batch in the fermenter, it was there three weeks.

People always ask for more. This recipe might just be idiot proof!

Just made this yesterday,only difference is I pushed back the last 2 citra additions to 5 minutes and 190 degrees,and I'm going to add a few more oz's in dry hopp,it's fermenting with Vermont ale from the yeast bay and it smells awesome so far,fingers crossed.

How did yours turn out?

Think I might brew this soon and also try using Vermont ale yeast as I never have but want to try. Maybe it'll be a little like a cross between a NE IPA and DIPA?

MALT/GRAIN BILL
8.5 lb (3.85 kg) 2-row pale ale malt
12 oz (340 g) Carapilsen malt
2.5 lb (1.1 kg) Vienna-style malt
1 lb (454 g) flaked oats
6 oz (170 g) Caramunich-type malt

HOPS & ADDITIONS SCHEDULE
0.75 oz (21 g) Columbus [14% AAU] at 60 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at 20 minutes
1 lb (454 g) corn sugar at 10 minutes
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at 5 minutes
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at knockout
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at dry hop

Single infusion mash: Achieve a target mash of 152°F (67°C). Hold for 45 minutes, then raise to mash-out temperature and begin lauter phase.
Collect enough wort to boil 6.5 gallons (24.6 liters) and boil for 60 minutes, following the hops and additions schedule. After the boil is complete, begin a whirlpool in the kettle and let the knockout hops rest in the hot wort for at least 30 minutes before chilling.

Chill the wort rapidly to 68°F (20°C). Ferment at 68°F (20°C) for one week. Add the dry hops and let the beer sit for an additional four to seven days at 55–57°F (13°C).

Looking to brew this either tonight or this weekend. Wondering what your choice was for Caramunich Type Malt? Also, any info on the water profile you used? TIA. Samples look great.

Back