Lawnmower Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashuganabrew

Brewing... could anything be better?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two riding Lawn Mowers, both with the same issue. Both died suddenly while I was mowing this week. when I turn the key there is NOTHING. I checked the only fuses I can see and they're good. one is a Husquavarna, the other a 1982 Gravely... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

. I would think fuel but you say they died and you checked fuses so imgurssing you are getting nothing at all?

You know there is a kill switch weight activated under the seat, right?

Those kill switches tend to be a huge problem and do go bad over time. If when you turn the key you get absolutely NOTHING then I would maybe look at that as a potential problem. I almost rewired my John Deere last summer after my switch went bad and I was having a similar problem. I would say that is the potential for the Husqvarna, but not sure the Gravely would even have a safety kill since it is so old.

Now if you get a click or any sign of turning over then your problem is different all together. When they died did they sputter at all? From my own experience I know my spark plug gets fouled from time to time and that will sometimes cause it to just die in the middle of mowing, but usually there is some tell tale sign of my mower running poorly beforehand.

Do you keep them both in the same building/ shed/ whatever? Do you have mice? Or, do your batteries have fluid in them if they require it? I'd go with the mouse-chew hypothesis if it was me. Kyle

Have check the batteries? Fuses? Mmy parents just had the same thing happened to their john deere, and were told it's not those 2 things the next thing check coils

checked batteries... sitting on seat.... kept in the same building, dry as they can be. I'm thinking the weight switch is a good place to start. thanks!

My Craftsman has a Seat switch, a brake switch, and a neutral switch. All three must be engaged before the starter will actuate.

Check and clean all contact locations, including the wiring harnesses and screw and nut locations. loose connections and corrosion might be causing the problem. You might consider using a bit of electrical grease on the wiring harnesses. Mostly for weather resistance.

Latest posts

Back