Lauter Types

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
Ok, I'm finnaly getting my all-grain brewery underway. I've seen several different options of lautering to include: SS Braids, Phils false bottoms, and slotted pipes. Any preference on which is the best, or are they all about the same? thanks

IMO it depends on what type of sparging you are planning on utilizing: batch or fly.

For batch: ss braid is fine as channeling isn't as important.
For fly: manifold is required as it is more likely to have channeling with a braid. A manifold also works equally well with batch, so that's what I've gone with and I can sparge either way without worrying.

I don't have any experience with Phil FB, but I would think in principle it lines up with a manifold.

I agree with BvB. A manifold is a great design, and it's relatively easy to make, if you have some soldering experience. And you can build it to fit any vessel. Plus, you get better efficiency than the SS braid. OTOH, if simple is what you want, then go with the braid.

Or, if you've got more money than time, sense, or skill, you can just buy a false bottom...I like my SS one a lot so far.

El Pistolero said:
Or, if you've got more money than time, sense, or skill, you can just buy a false bottom...I like my SS one a lot so far.

Have not tried it yet but this is what I have. The SS... actually I have the Phils too but it is going to collect dust at the moment.

Baron von BeeGee said:
IMO it depends on what type of sparging you are planning on utilizing: batch or fly.

I don't have any experience with Phil FB, but I would think in principle it lines up with a manifold.
I have used the Phil Phalse Bottom for all of my AG batches. I've had it for almost 10 years and, other than being stained from dark wort, it is in perfect condition. I've had very good luck with it.
It is a bit pricey but I would recommend it.

Back