Lauter Tun help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speer1234

Reaction score
Hello, I got my copper pipe sawed to allow the wort through and a hole drilled in the tun. What can I use to seal it? Something that wouldnt leech in to the wort, etc? :confused:

Its quite a large hole too. The first drill was a bit too high, so I had to make 2 insertions. :drunk:

whoops, forgot pics! haha.

IMG_00000712.jpg

IMG_00000711.jpg

IMG_00000710.jpg

I'd recommend a weldless ball valve attached to the cooler with rubber gaskets. Sealant is a pain and doesn't hold up over time.

How about JB weld? I believe I read on here somewhere that it's okay after it's curred.
I would say epoxy also. once curred I don't think it would be a problem. the highest temps it would see would be 170*F so it might be okay.
I am sure someone on here has done the research or called the manufacure and I'm sure they will chime in.
good luck.

Excuse my ignorance, but is a weldless ball valve one whole piece that I buy in my copper pipes diameter?

Try a 1/2" - 1" PVC pipe that fills the gap tightly. Then, cap the liquid side end or use an appropriate sized reducer. If you use a capped end, drill the cap to allow the copper manifold to seal tightly inside of the capped fitting. You'll need to use some gasket/o-ring material to seal the copper/PVC fitting connection to ensure it won't leak.

One other question, i scraped the drill hole area pretty good with sand paper as plastic shards were sticking out. When using the lauter tun, bacteria shouldnt be a issue because the worts temperature correct? it looks like a nice place for bacteria to hide.

It shouldn't be that big of a deal because the mashing process is pre-boil. After an hour boil, any bacteria potentially picked up from the tun will be long-cooked. Still, take care to clean the tun after every use. Also, you are going to flip your manifold around, right? You just had it slot-side up to show us all the nice, neat cuts, right? RIGHT? ;)

My brain completely phased the boil part :cross: lol.

Am I supposed to? I thought the cuts are supposed to face up?

Also, I am very bad with these piping parts. Do you think I could buy the separate pieces at my local home hardware to make this sealer valve? I already have a faucet end.

IMG_00000713.jpg

Latest posts

Back