Lauter screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wired247

Reaction score
In the middle of a hop field in Yakima WA. Serious
I have to buy some tubular Johnson screen assemblies for work. Johnson screen is what they make the floor of commercial lauter tuns out of or at least the breweries that I have worked at used Johnson screen lauters. Johnson screen is also called wedge wire screen . The screen tops are flat but the bottom of the cross section is narrowed to not quite a point. Sort of triangular in shape and its a very efficient shape for well linings and what my company needs it for and for lauter tun floors. So what you ask? I got a quote for the 10qty stainless 8 foot by 8 inch tubes I need from a local manufacturer for around $40,000 total. I stumbled across the same screens from a Chinese manufacturer for $2400 plus freight. I started thinking I wonder if they could make me a flat screen say 24 inches by 24 inches with 3mm wedge wire and 2mm gaps. That would be perfect for a lauter screen in a keg. Trim it to size and split and add a hinge. So I had them quote that too. $40. Anyway I am probably going to order one for myself along with the rest of the order . If there is any interest in this sort of thing for a group buy please let me know as I can piggyback it in with the tube screens and save on freight.

Sell-wedge-wire-johnson-screen-screen-panels.jpg

I'm interested. What kind of ETA would it be?

They said 7-10 days to build plus shipping time. Ive bought stuff like this from China before and their build times are pretty reliable give or take a week. I'm still waiting on a shipping quote for air or ship before I commit to the order on the tubular screens. I should know more tomorrow.

Better brewing through communism.

So... it would only be sized (and shaped) to fit sanke tuns?

Heres an update. I'll be placing the order tomorrow. If anyone wants one or more of these please let me know by Wednesday morning as that is when the paperwork is going in. I will need payment by paypal before I submit the order. When the screen comes in we'll work out shipping from me to you. Realistically figure on two months or even a bit more before you see it. The paypal thing will give you protection and I will have to prepay myself when the order goes in for the part of the order that is coming to me instead of the company.

For comparison a 4 foot by 2 foot flat screen of similar construction priced at a local fab shop that builds these was $1350. For $40 its worth the gamble IMHO.

Contact me this today at [email protected]

I'll take one if it's not to late. Did they give you a minimum order on these?

The two emails you gave are different, so I'm unsure.

For $40, might as well put me down for one. I'm going to need the correct info to email you and PayPal you.

I'm guessing we'll have to cut these to the size we need on our own? I'm sure I can find a way regardless, but what kind of tool(s) would be used to cut these?

For $40, might as well put me down for one. I'm going to need the correct info to email you and PayPal you.

I'm guessing we'll have to cut these to the size we need on our own? I'm sure I can find a way regardless, but what kind of tool(s) would be used to cut these?

A grinder with a cutoff wheel will do it.

mikelikesit2000 said:
A grinder with a cutoff wheel will do it.

Cool thanks.

And I've never used a FB before, but what exactly is the point of putting in a hinge?

Either one are right. they both link the same account. [email protected] or [email protected].

A cut off wheel would do it. You don't really need a hinge but you'd have to cut it in half to fit it in the keg past the bands.

The order is in on these. I did have to make one change though. They will be coming in 48 inch lengths as the shortest the would do ended up being one meter long or there were additional costs involved. If you ordered two you'll get one four foot long which is good as you can probably make three lauter screen out of it. Otherwise I will cut them in half when they get here.

Bah, can't believe I missed this just waiting for a clarification on the email :/

Any update on this? I'm currious to see how the stuff turned out and if there will be additional orders I can actually get in on, lol.

You know I did give fair notice I'd be ordering these. Its one of those things I learned long ago when I was building race cars and trying to do it on a budget ( good luck with that ) . If you find a good deal, jump on it because the guy who's selling isnt going to wait around for you to make your mind up. He's going to sell to the first guy who hands him the cash. Then the good deal is gone. I have given up drinking and brewing and I'll probably sell the one I bought for myself but if theres enough interest I'll more than likely put another order together in the future especially if I need to buy more of this type of screen material for work and at the rate we are growing theres a good possibility of just that. Buying direct from China is kind of a hassle with bank transfers and shipping to deal with but its not that bad once you have the contacts.

Fair notice?

I'm not bitter and I understand, but I wasn't even able to get the email straight before it was too late :D

should put together a list of those of us who are interested for the next time you can slip some of these on an order. I know I'd like one or two :D

I've been looking for reverse flow wedge wire screen pipe.
0.04" gap
12" length
18" diameter
ss304

I have a contact in china quoting me $200. Sheet! I said. But I want it. Does your company use well screen johnson wire pipes? PM me.

I've been looking for reverse flow wedge wire screen pipe.
0.04" gap
12" length
18" diameter
ss304

I have a contact in china quoting me $200. Sheet! I said. But I want it. Does your company use well screen johnson wire pipes? PM me.

The last few I bought were 12 foot long and were $250 each but I ( my company ) bought a dozen at that price. They usually have a minimum order size so your'e probably just getting hosed that way. 1mm is the standard lowest gap size so it shouldnt be that much of a problem. I don't know about having them done in reverse though. .

should put together a list of those of us who are interested for the next time you can slip some of these on an order. I know I'd like one or two :D

The next time I place an order i'll put up a posting a week or two ahead of time. Keep in mind this isnt something I have a lot of notice on myself. I'm in an engineering meeting and my boss says we have a big contract that just got legs and we need something done yesterday and I have a few days to get an order together I'll put out what I can for specs and provide payment info but a lot of emailing back and forth and himming and hawing and making up your mind isnt going to get it ordered for you. .

Back