Latest brew day emergency - advice needed:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andres Falconer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a Mosaic IPA - a recipe basically adapted from the Northern Brewer all grain kit, but the yeast seems to have failed.

I made a starter, over three days, from the Wyeast English Ale 2 yeast. I could tell that there wasn’t much going on in the starter, but I pitched it anyway. 24 hours later, nothing is happening in the fermenter. I can wait a little longer, but I’m not optimistic. I want to pitch another yeast pack, but my options are limited/inadequate. Please help me choose which one will work best (it doesn’t have to be true to style, but I need to get something good to drink!):

1) Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey
2) Wyeast 3068 weihenstephan weizen
3) Wyeast 2633 Oktoberfest lager
or…
4) Redstar premier cuvée (dry yeast I use for mead)
or even…
5) some harvested and reliable Lutra kveik.

I don’t have any emergency dry ale yeast and I’m not able to make a run to the store now. Which one to pitch?

Sitting at room temperature of 21C/70F, which should be enough.

I could wait I little longer but I got a bad feeling from the starter. If it wasn’t rocking after three days, there may not have been enough viable yeast to begin with. And I know if I wait long enough something will happen: Fermentation with the wrong stuff.

So your vote is for the kveik? I could turn on the heat pad and watch this take off!

This Lutra is the gift that keeps on giving. Brewed three batches with yeast harvested from the original pack and now it’s saved my brew day. I may call this the Hail Mary IPA.

Back