Latest batch of Apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwind7

Reaction score
DBDC7EAC-D79B-4FA1-8CA6-C606AD77BF50.jpeg
Apple cider from a local orchard. It’s a little bit tart but very smooth. Approx. 8.5% ABV. I tried to upload a short video showing the sparkle and clarity, but the file is too big. (15 second video)

wow is that light in color...

What yeast did ya use? What did ya use to front-load the SG for higher ABV?

Cheers!

Cheers!
Here’s the full breakdown: In 3 gallons of raw cider, I added enough sugar to bring the OG to 1.065. I used EC-1118 yeast, 4 1/2 tsp acid blend, 1 1/2 tsp pectin enzyme, 3/4 tsp grape tannin, 3 tsp of yeast nutrient, and 3 crushed campden tablets. I also dissolved 1 1/2 tsp of bentonite in warm water and stirred the $@!+ our of it when I added it to the juice. The added sugar was 3 cups dissolved in 5 cups of distilled water. I did NOT stir the yeast in. FG was 1.000. I think the clarity was helped with the addition of the bentonite. Started on 10/24/18 and bottled on 11/08/18. 1 carbonation drop in each 12 oz beer bottle. Great carbonation. I’d send you a quick video if you have email.

Quick question here on cider in general: My latest batch is great tasting and carbonation is great. I used one carbonation drop per 12 oz bottle. However; if I chill the cider in the bottle, I have no carbonation whatsoever. At room temp, it sparkles like fine champagne. Whassup with that?

Quick question here on cider in general: My latest batch is great tasting and carbonation is great. I used one carbonation drop per 12 oz bottle. However; if I chill the cider in the bottle, I have no carbonation whatsoever. At room temp, it sparkles like fine champagne. Whassup with that?

Carbonation tablets from my understanding are just concentrate measured out easy to use priming sugar. So if you chill the cider In the bottle you are stopping the little bit of yeast that’s left from eating that extra sugar you added to create the carbonation. At room temp they will eat it and make carbonation as you described. Find the right length of time to get the carbonation you want at room temp and then throw them
In the fridge

Cheers!

That is very light color. Wonder what apples were used. I’d bet those Eatin’ apples with the bright white flesh. Are they Macintosh or Macoun?

Carbonation tablets from my understanding are just concentrate measured out easy to use priming sugar. So if you chill the cider In the bottle you are stopping the little bit of yeast that’s left from eating that extra sugar you added to create the carbonation. At room temp they will eat it and make carbonation as you described. Find the right length of time to get the carbonation you want at room temp and then throw them
In the fridge
Nate - I understand the carbonation drops thing but I guess my previous post wasn't clear. I took bottles of cider out of the case that were already carbonated and chilled them in the fridge. They don't sparkle. The rest of the batch if left at room temperature does. I haven't tried letting the chilled one return to room temperature. Kind of a mystery to me. I know if I chill the bottles without letting them carbonate first, it doesn't let the yeast consume the residual sugars so no sparkle.

That is very light color. Wonder what apples were used. I’d bet those Eatin’ apples with the bright white flesh. Are they Macintosh or Macoun?
The apples used were either Fuji or Honeycrisp. I'm not sure which ones they were crushing when I got the cider. The cider came from a local orchard here in Michigan.

Nate - I understand the carbonation drops thing but I guess my previous post wasn't clear. I took bottles of cider out of the case that were already carbonated and chilled them in the fridge. They don't sparkle. The rest of the batch if left at room temperature does. I haven't tried letting the chilled one return to room temperature. Kind of a mystery to me. I know if I chill the bottles without letting them carbonate first, it doesn't let the yeast consume the residual sugars so no sparkle.

Ahh my bad! Sorry about that. That is a strange mystery!

Could it be something to do with the ambient air pressure when you bottled ? Not sure if this makes sense.....

My bet is on the solubility of C02 in your cider as a function of temp. At room temp the solution is close to CO2 saturation but when you cool it down the more CO2 dissolves in the cider. Take two bottles - cool them both in your fridge. Open one - no fizz? Let the other equilibrate to room temp and then open - - fizzy?

Back