Lately getting a lot of yellow along with blue flame - Blichmann burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
Lately I've noticed a decent amount of yellow flame riding atop the blue flame on my burner. I have the air adjustment set correctly, and less air and it's full on yellow. Does this have anything to do with the winter temps or what else could be causing it?

Rev.

2015-02-08 13.47.59.jpg

Check to make sure something isn't in the burner like a spiders nest.

I've taken my site gauge cleaning brush not too long ago and pushed it into the air intake and cleaned it out there but didn't find anything. I was thinking spiders too since I keep it in the basement with the air intake closed up. What's the best way to clean out spider webs?

Rev.

Less air gives a more yellow flame and more air gives a bluer flame.
Spider webs or other blockages cause a more yellow flame. To clean them just take the items apart and inspect them and clean them as needed.
The colder temps of winter should give a slightly more blue flame as the air is more dense.
Open the air more to see if you can get a bluer flame. If not you may have blockage.

To clean them just take the items apart and inspect them and clean them as needed.

What I'm asking is how to clean inside the burner itself. It's a cast metal, so outside of removing the air intake at the front I don't see anything else to take apart.

Rev.

Take the burner apart, if it is a "jet" burner, it is cast metal and gets rust / scale / burnt wort etc.

Clean well w wire brush and or chip scale off and reassemble.

Boil overs will partially block the burner holes as well, which leads to a crappier flame. I take my burner out of the frame probably once a year, soak in a bit of oxyclean, scrub really well (I use one of those dryer exhaust cleaning brushes to scrub the inside) and hit the outside with a wire brush. I use a small probe to poke clean each one of the holes. Turns a yellow flame back to beautiful blue for the next brew session.

Back